These will keep me busy up to Xmas…

8 Likes

That looks brilliant.

1 Like

Big fan of his post Rutles stuff.

3 Likes

Jazz fact and gothic fiction on the go

1 Like

Both books are on their way here. Can you guess which one might be for the teenage and which one for his father?

1 Like

Turned up today and I’m going to start it tonight😊

8 Likes

The CDs that came with the Heining book are awesome !

1 Like

Indeed - for such era defining music if they had been made now they would have been streamed and released rather than locked away in the vaults.

Nicci French Thursday’s child.

Fascinating read. The author started out as a recording engineer/producer in SF and then went on to become a neuroscientist doing some cutting edge research and rubbing shoulders with Nobel Prize winners like Crick and Watson. The role our brains play in how we react to music is apparently largely in the subconscious and distributed throughout many regions.

3 Likes

I very much agree with you. That book was a nice read, I really should pick it from the shelf for a reread.

One of my bass heroes from one of my favourite bands.
Met him several times, lastly at his book signing in W London. Always an entertaining encounter.

4 Likes

I’ve just got the Geddy book, arrived the same day as two others I’d ordered, including one I’ve been waiting years for so it will be a whole until I read it

3 Likes

Starting my first Denis Johnson book, taking place in the mid sixties in South Vietnam.

3 Likes

£4.99 on Kindle.

I remember reading the first volume years ago but never followed on with the others.

1 Like

One of America’s less welcome imports (identitarianism, not Mounk or his book):

2 Likes

My Search for Warren Harding. Laugh out loud funny.

The novel was published in 1983 to acclaim. It’s on The Guardian’s list of 1000 Novels Everyone Must Read.

And then it went out of print. Its return this year prompted an article in the New York Times. The article prompted me to buy it.

It’s a satire of L.A. circa 1980. It should seem dated, but it doesn’t. The literary background is varied. It was inspired by Henry James’s The Aspern Papers. The author identifies Nabokov as a primary influence but also mentions Evelyn Waugh. (It’s sort of a successor to The Loved One.) It also brought to mind Michael Frayn’s Headlong.

It’s also the book I thought A Confederacy of Dunces should have been, substituting L.A. for the South.

I don’t know how it will read on the other side of the Atlantic, but it’s worth a try.

Edit - As I approach the end of the book (it’s best read in small doses), I suppose I should add that it (or more accurately, the first person narrator) offends people of pretty much every race, color, creed, and sexual orientation.

3 Likes

Mick Wall - 50 Years of Led Zeppelin, When Giants Walked the Earth

2 Likes

Just found a nice cheap copy of this tome - full of good stuff.

2 Likes

Sucker for anything Beatles related. Actually listening to the audiobook - enjoyable so far, but marred by constant Americanisms - bangs for fringe, automobile, etc etc.

3 Likes