What book are you reading right now?

Just finishing and enjoying:-

The other great thing about these music books is that you tend to go back and check out the discography.

Next up will be:-

Gawd it’s Bowie, think I’m addicted!!

After that it will likely be Geddy Lee’s new one - @QuickSticks - I know you have started it any early thoughts on it?

1 Like

Little bit of a false start I’m afraid.
I’ve been busy during normal reading time and I can’t seem to concentrate on anything but the music in the Cabin at the moment…:wink:
I hope to get back to it tonight or at the weekend. :crossed_fingers:t3:

1 Like

No problem Q, maybe let us know your thoughts in due course.

1 Like

Invisible Generals by Doug Melville

The amazing true story of America’s first Black generals, Benjamin O. Davis, Sr. and Jr., a father and son who helped integrate the American military and created the Tuskegee Airmen.

Picked this up after seeing an interview with the author on the PBS News Hour. Certainly a story of the bravery of men to endure prejudice and rise above the barriers placed in their path. Just a couple of chapters into the book and find it to be an interesting read.

6 Likes

Q - we all have to call him Mr. Quicksticks

2 Likes

Far too formal, Andy!! :rofl:

1 Like

Mr QuickSticks…? :thinking: :man_shrugging:

1 Like

The much anticipated and very delayed follow-up to the excellent I am pilgrim. Worth the wait so far

3 Likes

Equal parts hilarious and clever.

steve

2 Likes

Which reminds me that I have another book in the series on my “to read” shelf.

1 Like

A bit of local history…

3 Likes

Nice cover, but Kaka Ale doesn’t sound especially appetising.

1 Like

I have finished reading Len Deighton’s “bomber” for the second time in my life.
I read it for the first time as an 18 year old in 1976 and it had a profound impact on me at the time. Although it was fictional, i had watched enough war films then to know that it would have been very close to how war actually was. The reason i had never re-read it was the graphic description of a mid upper turret gunner in a Lancaster and the way he met his death, i remember vividly crying in 1976 while i was reading that section. 43 years latter as i read the same section, i started crying again before i even got to the description of how he died because i vividly remembered my first reading of the book 1976. When a book has a profound impact on you, it is something you never ever forget.

10 Likes

Interesting - there’s also that ‘in air’ broadcast by Wynford Vaughan-Thomas from an RAF Lancaster over Berlin in 1943, still available on BBC Sounds. At one stage you can actually hear the rear gunner take out a Luftwaffe night fighter, a very lucky moment for them. Apparently the recording was cut ‘direct to disk’ in acetate and it went out over the Home Service the next night !

3 Likes

Just starting this. With the release of the new film it reminded me how much I enjoyed studying Napoleon at school, most of which is long forgotten now.

2 Likes

A re-read after many a year. The cynicism of the Director drips off the page.

steve

10 Likes

I just received The World Atlas Of Wine, 6th edition, by Hugh Johnson and Jancis Robinson.
It’s an excellent Bible of the wine world and quite an incredible compilation by mainly, Jancis.
It’s not as dry as you would think and its filled with detailed maps etc.

I had an earlier edition from the local library 6 or 7 years ago and read the whole thing. Now I’ll read the updated version again and hold on to even more of the information. These are really the only kind of books I read, technical publications and the like.
Just not a fiction fan.

3 Likes

Didn’t Mick Wall get it in the neck from Axl Rose on the Guns n’ Roses song ‘Get In The Ring’?

Similar experience with Goodbye Mickey Mouse…No spoilers.

Another new series for the Kindle. 99p

DS George Cross is autistic and this makes life difficult for both himself and work colleagues.

Saga in the tv series The Bridge comes to mind…… and probably/hopefully she won’t leave for a few days.

2 Likes