What book are you reading right now?

Really enjoying this one - extremely well written and bringing to light the (limited reported) events very effectively. History book of the year for me.

2 Likes

He’s a northerner, so he’s consumed by bias and bitterness, but this is a quite well-argued polemic and he does kinda have a point…

3 Likes

Unless I have company at Xmas, I always try to set aside the day to read WE Bowman’s ridiculous ‘The Ascent Of Rum Doodle’, which I think is the funniest book ever written.

Occasionally I have to put the book down because I’m crying with laughter.

3 Likes

About to start (Christmas Gift)

Wager - A Tale of Shipwreck, Mutiny and Murder by David Grann

4 Likes

I received Wager and Stephen Fry’s Mythos as Christmas gifts. I’'m really looking forward to both books.

4 Likes

Love Shogun. Read it 3, 4 times I think but not for 30 years or more…

My second time, 25 years later.

As 2023 draws to a close I reflect on one of the most joyful pleasures I complete across the year - the pleasure and benefit of READING.

I set myself a target this year of reading 43 books and have finished with 61 - the most I’ve ever done. I like to mix fiction with non fiction and you can see my reads at the link below.

My book of the year? That’s easy……The Ship Beneath The Ice - the story of the discovery of Shackelton’s Endurance. Utterly brilliant and compelling.

If you’re an avid reader, enjoy your 2024 challenge. Santa brought me 4 new books so I’m off to a flying start for the New Year.

Reading = knocks Netflix, Disney+, Sky TV and iPlayer into touch for me.

8 Likes

Gripping new biography of the man who is/was perhaps Britain’s most underrated PM – and possibly the most astute political operator of the entire 20th century.

7 Likes

I’ve just started this one and, so far, it’s very compelling.

4 Likes

Just started this … heard these guys speak their experience, it was captivating.

3 Likes

One of the greatest pieces of storytelling I’ve ever read.

I see there’s a new mini-series coming in 2024.

3 Likes

I had this as my book at bedtime a year or so ago narrated by Mike Grady 7 hours 30 minutes lasted me a couple of weeks and a joy to hear.

Downloaded from audible - nice to have the book read to me.

2 Likes

I always enjoy a new David Thomson cinema book. I don’t always agree with him but he is very clever and writes well. One of his arguments is that there is no such thing as an ‘anti-war’ film because although we may tut at the waste and carnage of it all, our inner 11 yr old is loving all the blood and gore

2 Likes

Just starting this Xmas pressie from Daughter.

steve

3 Likes

The whole sorry saga makes me want to spit. One part of me wants to watch the TV serial starting New Year but the other part knows it will make me so angry! For the same reason i daren’t read the book :slightly_frowning_face:

4 Likes

I recently discovered that the Apple Books app makes a number of classic novels available for free - currently reading Dracula. The various movies really haven’t done this book justice at all. Although it does help picturing Christopher Lee during sections of Dracula’s dialogue. The way Stoker develops his characters and builds tension is really something.

6 Likes

Need to still get into it, at the beginning….

2 Likes

The follow up to his earlier memoir “Bunnyman”.

Also, I’ve just finished reading Glen Matlock’s “Triggers”, which was very enjoyable.

1 Like