What book are you reading right now?

Continuing the theme :grinning:
Really enjoyed the book.

2 Likes

Given that the excellent ITV drama Mr Bates v the Post Office is the talk of the country right now, I thought I ought to start reading Nick Wallis’ book on the scandal:

5 Likes

1984, again.

2 Likes

Just finished The Outcry, Henry James’s attempt at a Rom-Com (first as a play, then a novel).

Now reading Trust, the Pulitzer winner by Hernan Diaz.

2 Likes

I read a lot of books about Shakespeare, for both work and pleasure, and this, (first published in 1970), though not as seemingly scholarly as James Shapiro’s or Jonathan Bate’s plethora of Will books, is certainly both brilliant and daring in its themes, assertions and contention.

One of the best writers in the English language writing about the best.

Truly wondrous.

7 Likes

Read this in the early 80s found it rather helpful I’m hoping the second read will reap the same benefits. Interestingly this edition sells for over $500 online (Amazon).

1 Like

Seeing as memoir #2 gets as far as 1982 I think it’s safe to say there’s more to come …

Trust was a good read. A nice example of meta-fiction. (No spoilers - that’s clear from the table of contents not to mention the reviews.)

4 Likes

If you are interested in aviation or travel there is a new book out on Amazon called ‘From the Flight Deck…TheDiary of an Airline Pilot. Author is Nigel Knot.
It’s funny and informative and I can thoroughly recommend it.

I read a novel recently, set in Elizabethan London (1592) and specifically Shakespeare’s ‘Theatre’. It’s well researched and a great murder mystery. Available on Amazon.

4 Likes

Superb take on reading Shakespeare in the modern age.

4 Likes

Very interesting. If you read No Logo or her later books and enjoyed them, you should definitely give this a read.

2 Likes

s-l500

Another Crime series that I am enjoying… :neutral_face:

1 Like

Peace Like a River by Leif Enger. Simply a stunning work, beautifully composed.

1 Like

I had largely forgotten about this scandal, thinking it had all been settled some years ago, but having watched the excellent ITV drama (twice), I’ve been eager to learn more. Since watching the TV drama, I also watched the real documentary on ITV, then the excellent coverage on BBC Panorama and I’m now halfway through the radio podcasts. I even watched the select committee coverage on BBC Parliament. I’m looking forward to reading this book, which received excellent reviews.

5 Likes

Thought I’d give this a go - it’s supposed to be a good biography.

5 Likes

From your posts I would think you are already very knowledgeable on LZ so I would be interested to know how much more you get from this book to help me decide as to whether to purchase myself.

3 Likes

My second book by S.A. Cosby. Liking it so far.

2 Likes

After reading the Peter May - Lewis trilogy of books which were most enjoyable, thought i would try another. I just finished this book, took a while to get into it but then i found it a good page turner. Any recommendations for any of his other books are most welcome.