What book are you reading right now?

I’m a Peter May fan. After a vacation in the wine regions of France, I reread his mystery about the murder of a wine critic.

I’ve read the first three books in his China series recently as well.

Now on the mammoth (950 page) new mystery from Robert Galbraith. I really disliked the last one, but this one is good at the halfway point.

2 Likes

I was reminded this morning by an old computer hand that the real source of problem lay with ICL.

A few on the go at the moment, but there is a theme that I don’t normally get on with.
Kindle: Bernie Gunther series by Philip Kerr. Very atmospheric Berlin Noir series.
Paper: Entangled life by Merlin Sheldrake; Orchard by Macdonald & Gates; Woodston by John Lewis-Stempel

1 Like

On Kindle at the moment. .99p each.
Cicero’s story. Wonderful reading if you enjoy deathly dealings,intrigue and the best of writing.

8 Likes

Read all the Bernie’s.
Have the illustrated Entangled. What fabulous pictures.
Not read all the Stempels but he can bring a field or pond to life.

1 Like

Rezding Thomas Mann The Magic Mountain. I was intimidated by its length in my youth.

2 Likes

I reread it not too long ago. Are you reading the more recent English translation? It made a big difference for me.

1 Like

My copy is from 1979. Maybe not the latest translation.

I read the first 300 pages yesterday. Very good indeed

It wouldn’t be.

Prompted by a recent discussion about movies with great theme music, I decided to reread this:

8 Likes

Cracking read - his last "Light Perpetual’ was very good but laid the god stuff on a little thick for me. This is a work of great imagination with a pacy plot and lots of politicking into the bargain.

2 Likes

Books I have read this month, all very good.

1 Like

I ordered Ian Bostridge’s book ‘Schubert’s Winter Journey’ (about his masterly song cycle ‘Winterreise’) a few weeks ago.

I found the book in a soaking wet cardboard Amazon package in the basement area outside my home this morning, it has probably been there for weeks. It should be OK once it has dried out properly.

(A card through the front door from the delivery driver would have been a nice touch!)

1 Like

I was planning to read Demon Copperhead, but I decided to prepare for it by re-reading David Copperfield. What a delight. Especially enjoying the first person narration.

2 Likes

Just finishing Malcolm Mackay’s Glasgow Trilogy, a fictional tale of the criminal underworld.

2 Likes

New name for me. I have just put the first on my kindle based upon your own and the recommendation of Mark Billingham.

Apparently there are now six books in the series.

Thanks for the tip.

2 Likes

Football love :heart:

1 Like

They are both excellent books. I don’t think you will be disappointed by Demon Copperhead either

Written in the 1960s this is an account of one man’s wilderness experiences in the Canyonlands area of the USA. It’s sad to think that so many of the places he visited no longer exist - drowned forever under the huge lakes created by damming the Colorado river.

1 Like