What book are you reading right now?

Third in the pretend renaissance world centred around the Mediterranean.

I read a lot and have quite a keen literary filter. Ask me who is the finest living author of historical adventures and here he is.

3 Likes

Three more just added to the Kindle.

Latest Harry Hole.

A fine new series from the master of deception.

Up in the hills behind Harlan county.

But I would much rather be able to walk and potter around in my garden without falling over.
It is what it is.

1 Like

Just finished the Black Keys book, good subject, however, pretty thin (content) book…now to start the Buzzcocks book

1 Like

An absolutely stunning biography

4 Likes

Life on a high country sheep farm, with an unusual narrator!

5 Likes

Hmmm… Wonder if I can get that from my local library?

steve

A name I haven’t thought of for many years. I read his Sense and Sensibilia at college.

I did, I will. Thanks.

1 Like

Picked up a cheap s/h copy of this one - excellent read, written by a real authority in this subject.

1 Like

“In the 1920s, the richest people per capita in the world were members of the Osage Nation in Oklahoma. After oil was discovered beneath their land, they rode In chauffeured cars and lived in mansions.
Then, one by one, the Osage began to be killed”…

4 Likes

An interesting scifi series from the actor that played Kryten in Red Dwarf (amongst other things)…

Currently enjoying this very much - and even more chilling post Covid…

Gift from a friend, possibly to help in difficult times. At first I was doubtful but some chapters are truly funny and illuminating. A good read.

4 Likes

After finishing “Das Boot”, which left a different impression than it did some 30+ years ago, I went for something very different and lighthearted:

1 Like

…and now a few pages into this:

I first read this back in 1986. I’m rereading it now because I suspect it may have something to say about the world today.

5 Likes

Say what you will, but this is truly a social science masterpiece :ok_hand:

5 Likes

Out of interest, having seen the legal furore in the US about the Tolkein Lord of the Rings sequel by Demetrious Polychron, I thought I’d see what it was all about. No longer available to purchase, it is downloadable from the court as an item of evidence.
Firstly, the guy can write, secondly, the story is poor and very annoying.
I did expect it to be naff.