What book are you reading right now?

Somewhat better than the predecessor “How to be a complete bastard”
A sign of the times pop art situationist deep theoretical testimonial of manhoods grip on reality.

1 Like

It still amazes me that he became so powerful

2 Likes

@Akh666 - is that book any good? I ask because I’ve bought many books about WWII.

1 Like

I’m enjoying it. I can recommend ‘Hitler’ by Ian Kershaw too. Both really long reads but fascinating.

3 Likes

@MDS – Mike - in many ways it has been superceded (especially after the old Soviet archives were opened up post 1991) and many historians have problems with Shirer’s barely concealed contempt for the Nazi leadership (Göring is referred to as “the fat Reichsmarshall” and Himmler as “a weak-chinned bureaucrat and cowardly sadist”), but the fact remains that it’s a gripping account; and it should be remembered that Shirer was a journalist, not an academic historian or scholar. Also, he was there, an eyewitness to the rise of Hitler’s regime.

I recommend it.

1 Like

I’ve always been uncomfortable with any historical account that describes people in those terms “ Göring is referred to as “the fat Reichsmarshall” and Himmler as “a weak-chinned bureaucrat and cowardly sadist”

Leonard Cohen had something with this poem

All There is to Know About Adolph Eichmann
Leonard Cohen

EYES:……………………………………Medium
HAIR:……………………………………Medium
WEIGHT:………………………………Medium
HEIGHT:………………………………Medium
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES…None
NUMBER OF FINGERS:…………Ten
NUMBER OF TOES………………Ten
INTELLIGENCE…………………….Medium

What did you expect?

Talons?

Oversize incisors?

Green saliva?

Madness?

Bad humans can be anyone, in plain site. They can even be us.

4 Likes

I’ve had that on my bookshelf for decades. I read Shirer’s “Berlin Diary” long ago.

One awkward thing about my edition of “Rise and Fall” is that the thick spine has a swastika, which definitely catches the eye. Sometimes I wonder what guests make of it.

2 Likes

LOL - one of my young nephews, then aged about 11, once asked me: “Uncle Kev, why have you got so many books about Hitler?” (there were/are rather a lot of them, to be fair). I realised that I ought to start spreading them about more, instead of having them all bunched together, otherwise people might start getting the wrong idea.

4 Likes

Many thanks, Kev. That’s a really useful insight. Cheers

1 Like

Just ordered (hope I am forgiven ) with delivery in about three weeks

Also from British Crime Library . E C R Lorac seems to be one of the more popular authors

Screenshot 2024-04-01 at 19.11.29

3 Likes

4 Likes

Why? Wanted a change from murder mysteries. (Re-read)

steve

5 Likes

The cover illustrations on these novels always remind me of the pictures
that were in British Rail train carriages. I am not sure if we had four or six in each compartment.

Looks like six.
IMG_2248

I can smell the steam engine smoke.

5 Likes

You guided me toward

A fine spy spying on spy story that is pleasantly complicated.
An MI6 outcast has to clear his name,discover the plot and save us all.

The Audible reading (with whisper sync … bit of Kindle then straight to the correct place onAudible )was most acceptable.

Thanks for the nudge. Your recommendation is loaded and ready.

2 Likes

1 Like

2 Likes

I bought this in 1976 - thanks for reminding me.

5 Likes

I will give this a try, thanks

Working my way through my battered old 1980s paperback, prompted by FX’s recent serial…

8 Likes