What book are you reading right now?

I’m watching the recent TV series on Disney Channel: really excellent!

1 Like

A most entertaining read. I particularly liked the story of Edward Heath purloining several carrier bags-worth of the late resident’s (Desmond Shaw-Taylor, Gramophone Music Critic) tape collection during a house visit, much to general disgust.

1 Like

I bought in an HMV shop yesterday two very different classics - Oscar Wilde’s scandalous ‘The Picture Of Dorian Gray’ and A A Milne’s lovely ‘Winnie the Pooh’.

2 Likes

Just started reading Squeaky Clean by Callum McSorley.

1 Like

Why? It was recommended. Very enjoyable and, as a bonus, it’s set in York.

steve

1 Like

Not sure if I’d feel the same if I read it today, but at the time, I considered it one of the two best pieces of story-telling I’d ever read. The other was The Magus.

1 Like

Returning to the claustrophobic world of Gormenghast Castle. First read Mervyn Peake’s Gormenghast trilogy in my late teens and have often returned to follow the life of Titus and the other bizarre characters…

4 Likes

In my youth, I read every Biggles book I could lay my hands on. So it was a delight to find this in the local library and indulge in some nostalgia.

steve

7 Likes

Kudos by Rachel Cusk (third in the trilogy)

1 Like

With a gale blowing outside, what better day to continue with this one. Fascinating (this guy had the connections), well written and some very interesting content relating to the early days of the National Trust. Have all 3 volumes of this abridged version (!) so plenty of reading ahead.

4 Likes

This is a neat thread. Here is what I am currently reading.

4th book in a series. A murder mystery/thriller.

1 Like

I am quite sure that the cover pictures are all taken from advertising material of the time

1 Like

Always enjoy Graham Swift - not sure how I missed this one. A beautifully written tale of small lives - as most of ours are.

Lovely cover too so evocative of the setting for the novel. John Nash’s first post WW1 picture ‘The Cornfield’.

7 Likes

Must have logged out before pressing Reply last time.

steve

1 Like

This just showed up. A nice copy of The Secret Glory by Arthur Machen. This edition by Tartarus Press.

4 Likes

I have a couple of Tartarus Press editions, the hardbacks are beautifully printed. Walter de la Mare short stories and Robert Aickman and Elizabeth Jane Howard’s ‘We are for the Dark.’ A great horror, fantasy and weird fiction list.

2 Likes

Yes, the Robert Aickman books from Tartarus Press are very nice, and the stories themselves also. As I started to read Aickman strange stories I also started to collect them from Tartarus Press, and have them all now. Very happy and proud owner :blush:

2 Likes

Finished Kudos.

Next on my list is Percival Everett’s Erasure which is the basis for the film American Fiction. I’m also interested in Everett’s new book, which tells the story of Huckleberry Finn from Jim’s perspective. It got a rave review in the NY Times.

So far the only book I’ve read by Everett is Dr. No - a riff on James Bond and nothingness. Amusing, but not a major work IMHO.

1 Like

IMG_2271
Second in the series.
An intertwining story based over a decade. Kodaka the original private detective and Wada his assistant that took over the agency after his death. Both investigations lead to the same unsavoury source. I couldn’t tell you if it is an accurate depiction of Japanese life but it seems remote enough from our western ways to be plausible.
A master story teller holding both strings of the tale in a suspenseful manner.
Wada is female so appropriate that the Audible was read by a woman.It was fine although many Japanese names sounded similar.

5 Likes

I have read it many times, also Musashi from Eiji Yoshikawa, really marvelous!