What book are you reading right now?

As a change from murder mysteries.

It’s a pleasant enough read but, even though it was written in 1985, it could have been written 3 decades earlier. Such are the attitudes portrayed by the characters, plus, everyone is so clearly American. All those worlds, all those people and they all ‘sound’ as if they only came from a single country.

steve

3 Likes

I love Asimov’s novels and short stories, especially the Foundation an Robot series. I’ve got some twenty of his books, most of them as Finnish translations, but two or three in English, too. I could use a larger bookshelf though, had to do some digging to get these in sight.

7 Likes

A loan from the public library: Jack Campbell’s Fearless (The Lost Fleet 2), in Finnish. The second book in this series and only the second space war novel that I’ve ever read. Quite entertaining.

2 Likes

I’ve had Herman Wouk’s “Winds of War” and “War and Remembrance” on my bookshelf since the paperback versions were published. The total length of the two is about 2,400 pages, so we’re talking Proustian here (from that perspective).

I’d say it’s time to break the spine, but in actuality, I borrowed the first from the library in e-book form. Easier to carry around, a search engine when I forget a character who last appeared 500 pages ago, and adjustable font size.

4 Likes

Having recently finished The Expanse series of books I’m reading my way through some sci-fi classic novels at the moment, Arthur C. Clarke, H.G. Wells, Phillip K. D… and so on. Thoroughly enjoying the somewhat deranged journey; so far my favorite has been The Forever War by Joe Haldeman and his exploration/thought experiments of time dilation & special relativity.

5 Likes

Brilliant book.

2 Likes

Some light reading.
A few familiarities between the times this was put together (1983) and now.

4 Likes

“When people say Jim Gordon is the greatest rock ‘n’ roll drummer who ever lived I think it’s true beyond anybody” - Eric Clapton.

1 Like

Poor guy is in prison still many years after being offered parole due to his schizoprenia. Apparently he didn’t want to be released for killing his mother. Very sad all ways around.

1 Like

@MWatBR
This indeed a very very sad story. After being found guilt Jim remained in prison until his death in 2023.

All Gates Open The Story Of Can
Should keep me busy for a while

4 Likes

Died on 13th March, 2023

I Just Can’t Stop It : My Life in the Beat.

"I Just Can’t Stop It is the honest and compelling autobiography from British Music Legend, Ranking Roger.

As the enigmatic frontman of the multicultural band The Beat, Ranking Roger represented the youthful and joyous sound of the post-punk 2 Tone movement."

Although never a mate exactly, we were on occasional casual nodding terms when attending various house parties, when I was working dahn in Sarf London.

A very nice chap, and sadly missed by all.

At do make ee think before ya eat it.

9 Likes

Exactly ( for a time I ate a lot of pre-processed food -ended up with a burst intestine and a poo-pack )

It is the degree of processing, salt , additives and the food miles

5 Likes

The author was unknown to me until “Tokyo Express” was mentioned here a few months ago. This one is nice, too. The style of both is unmistakably the same. Tokyo Express feels like a condensed form and better crafted because of that.

5 Likes

A bit more sophisticated than my normal stuff.

6 Likes

Short stories from 1940s and 1950s (so far.) Like Asimov it reflects the mores of the time. Accordingly there are no female scientists, astronauts, leaders, etc, just minor supporting characters. Also people still smoke, even in a spaceship!

In contrast to Asimov, the stories have a strong element of humour, some being downright funny.

steve

7 Likes

Revisiting a classic …

19 Likes