What book are you reading right now?

An anthology from one of my favourite poets. Hopefully it will help guide me along unexplored paths.

Many comedians write mystery novels. I am sure it will be as acerbic as Frankie’s stage routines.

Recycled from World of Books.

5 Likes

Did not realize the degree to which the be-boppers were fueled by heroin.
Good read though

2 Likes

Long awaited follow up to I Am Pilgrim the new thriller from Terry Hayes and a great holiday read it is too

5 Likes

vailble, which I ought to buy.A fascinating book about the history of the cassette. There’s also a cassette I ought to buy…

As a side note, there’s a good video about cassettes here:

4 Likes

I am always suspicious of claims that authors of historical fiction are a match CJ Sansom.
I have two series on the go about Charles 11’s political intrigues. This one takes the side of Cromwell. Damian Seeker is the lone wolf protecting the Lord Protector’s interests.
Convincingly well written.

NB June reading… under a blanket.

3 Likes

I’ve read a few of the series. Certainly very enjoyable but not really on a par with Sansom.

steve

Thought I would try to expand my horizons a trifle. Seems the library’s copy has had a long life…

steve

5 Likes

Today’s arrival:

6 Likes

More adventures from the curmudgeonly book seller about his irritating customers and ungrateful staff.

Library request. Wonderful service.

3 Likes

I don’t read a lot but have made the time to read this. It’s a beautiful short story about love and friendship with great drawings.

8 Likes

My wife bought me this for Christmas, it’s lovely.

1 Like

Friends gave it to me, thought it might help which it did.

2 Likes

Whilst I’m waiting for the BBC adaptation of “The Mirror and The Light” to hit the screen…

3 Likes

Types suggest it’s from the New Yorker. Is it?

Once or twice a year I re-read it from page 1 to 220. It keeps me in good balance with life and people.

3 Likes

IMG_3647

As a young teen I loved this hardbacked illustration based compendium of penny dreadfull and Weird Tales illustrations that accompanied the written words.
So much imagination of terror.

4 Likes

A le Carre that I had never read.
.99p daily bargain on Kindle and…and… Audible read by Michael Jayston for £3.99p if purchased together.

9 Likes

I enjoyed “The Constant Gardener” was very good. When I first read it I thought it was a departure from the proceeding Le Carre novels. The second reading placed it more within the world of Le Carre. Very good book imo.

4 Likes

My local had signed copies of the paperback so I added a copy to the pending pile. He’s appearing at the Chalke Valley Festival next week talking about it but sadly sold out.

3 Likes

Michael Jayston’s reading of the Constant Gardener (see above) on Audible is soo good I am listening to a chapter each night whilst abed.

This is the pick up/put down/ cup of tea read.
Young Aitken goes off on bus tours with my contemporaries.
Daily Mail reckons him the equal of Alan Bennett and they are never wrong.

I had read A chip shop in Poznan previously.

Library order.

4 Likes