What book are you reading right now?

After posting, I Googled the title. I found a 2023 article in the Atlantic that discusses its influence in the AI community.

1 Like

Cosy crime meets Bosch (minus the cool jazz), loadsa odd couple schtick whilst case solving … but hang on it’s all going a bit Phillip K D*ick. Watch this space.

3 Likes

(1961) Science fiction. Interesting read so far.

4 Likes

Sadly the last one in the series. Always a good read though.

steve

2 Likes

Was to be Bowie’s first film role but never made.

1 Like

I could easily see him in a movie for this book. A shame it wasn’t done.

1 Like

Last week I saw a performance of “The Years” at the Almeida in Islington. (great theatre company). It is based on the novel of the same name by Annie Ernaux. Thinking of moving on to that after I finish my re-read of “Mason & Dixon” - 200 pages to go.

Has anyone read the novel? It made The NY Times list of the 100 best books of this century.

An excellent story. It makes a pleasant change to find a detective who isn’t an alcoholic with relationship difficulties.

steve

7 Likes

Bloomsbury press pages have an article by Sullivan explaining why he invented a protagonist with Autism.
George and Saga from the Bridge would have been a fine pairing.
Read most of the series. I kindle them when they pop up for .99p

3 Likes

I thought of the Saga connection early on too.

We have an 11yo granddaughter who is on ‘The Scale’ so I recognised several of the traits. In addition, I knew a chap with Asperger’s who belonged to same model railway club as me at one time.

steve

3 Likes

Finished my re-read of “Mason & Dixon.” Definitely worth the effort. Certainly the relationship between the two title character is the finest character study in Pynchon’s work (not something he was generally known for). The mismatched pair has certainly been a frequent basis for fiction, film, and drama. In this case it adds to the strengths Pynchon had already demonstrated.

I’ve read GR a number of times - wrote my honors thesis on it. It may be a while before I tackle “Against the Day” again.

2 Likes

I’ve just finished reading this. It’s bleak and harrowing in places but beautifully written and very involving. It’s certainly thought provoking and I can understand why it won the Booker last year. It was probably not ideal holiday reading, but I’d started so I had to finish, as they say.

2 Likes

Ordered this today. Published this week. I think I have read nearly all his history books, always well researched, enjoyable, interesting and at times amusing. He makes history read like exciting novels.

“Drawing on unpublished source material, exclusive interviews with the SAS, and testimony from witnesses including hostages, negotiators, intelligence officers and the on-site psychiatrist…” ( Penguin)

4 Likes

Heard him interviewed this morning, along with a captive, on BBCR4.
It appears things were more complex than reported at the time.

1 Like

Yes, I heard that as well.

1 Like

Political intrigue sci-fi. Dense and involved.

steve