What book are you reading right now?

New to the author myself - basically space opera stuff.

Haven’t read much sci-fi for ages, and have been trying a few “recent” ones in the past month.

Any recommendations gratefully received. :slightly_smiling_face:
EDIT
A little bit off the SciFi trail, have you tried Aaron Aronovich’s Rivers of London books?
Or
Andrew Cartmell’s The Vinyl Detective series.
Both really entertaining stuff😁

1 Like

I can highly recommend this. There’s much, much more to the real story than the films portrayed.

5 Likes

I find myself re-reading Leslie Thomas’ novels a fair bit. Never that keen on Virgin Soldiers but a lot of his later books are well written and an easy read for a bit of retro escapism. He knows how to tell a tale.

3 Likes

Not quite as good as The Martian but still quite original and absorbing.

4 Likes

Love both of those series. Also, slightly, off the sci-fi trail (well, sort of. Hard to describe) I thoroughly recommend Angelmaker, by Nick Harkaway, who happens to be John le Carré’s son. Very well written, quite bizarre, and really funny too.

I really enjoyed it.
I managed to snag a signed first edition on release.

Presume you have seen The Expanse (on Amazon Prime)? Fantastic sci-fi. I bought the last three books to see how it all panned out.

Peter

1 Like

I enjoyed this, a classic time travel paradox space story, well written, cool threads, likeable characters

1 Like

A short and gripping hard-boiled New York crime novel. Set in the period 1936-61, it is drenched in jazz atmosphere.

5 Likes

Can’t go wrong with a Bernie Günther…

steve

6 Likes

New author for me.

Kindle £3.79 . Purchased and in the Oasis.

Picked up by No Exit Press. More information on their website.

Thanks.

1 Like

Just finished this (saw a recommendation a week or so ago), easy and thoughtful read with his albums on in the background

2 Likes

Going to start this now…

3 Likes

Just bought a copy of this book on Miles Davis’ electric period, on eBay.

4 Likes

Recently read Paul Bley’s wonderful autobiography.

Brilliant musician who lead an amazing life.

1 Like

Some SciFi I’ve really enjoyed lately with some really interesting ideas and can recommend;

Emily St John Mandel - Sea of Tranquility
Tade Thompson - Rosewater series
Becky Chambers - Wayfarers series (start with The Long Way To A Small Angry Planet)
Cixin Kui - Remembrance Of Earths Past series (The Three Body Problem) - especially once you get in to the 2nd and 3rd books
Adrian Tchaikovsky - every book I’ve read is fantastic! Try ‘The Doors of Eden’ and the abovementioned ‘Children Of Time’ series
Yoon Ha Lee - The Machineries Of Empire series

Should keep you occupied for a while :slight_smile:

Screenshot 2023-04-01 at 01.28.07

Lucy Worsley’s ‘Agatha Christie, A very elusive woman’

I mostly read fiction but caught Lucy Worsley’s television series on the six wives of Henry VIII and enjoyed her presentation. Then when this popped up on ‘offer’ (Kindle) for 99p I couldn’t really say no.

2 Likes

I adore science fiction but I’m really picky about what I like as to me there seems to be a lot of poorly written dreck out there. I tend to prefer sci-fi that is somewhat grounded in reality or has scientific credibility.

Recently I stumbled across “Area 51” by Robert Doherty and although only around 80 pages in I have to say I am hugely impressed, it’s a little bit X-files and a little bit 2001. Apparently this is only the first of a nine book series so if he maintains the quality those should keep me busy for a while!

51nnkUAammL.SX302_BO1,204,203,200

JonathanG

Recently finished this. About High Frequency Trading and how we are all (think pension funds etc) being ripped off by Wall Street boffins. It describes the techniques HFT firms use to exploit the latency between those placing stock orders and the electronic trading venues that execute them to front run price movements and effectively steal huge amounts of money, pennies at a time.

2 Likes