What book are you reading right now?

I assume you have tried Peter F Hamilton

Big space opera stuff

I started with Great North Road

• he book is set in the 22nd century. In a universe where wormholes have been artifically created, and a large portion of the Earth’s population has migrated around the galaxy. On Earth we have become very dependent on Bio-Oil to keep industries’ wheels turning and to keep cars on the road. A large portion of this is imported from St. Libra. A planet owned and controlled by the North family. The oil is transported back to earth via a wormhole, which terminates in Newcastle, another Great North Road? The North family are however not your average rich family; they are developed from a series of clones, and it’s amusing reading about the effects on the progressive generation of clones.

Edit to add

It’s also a murder mystery and alien junt

1 Like

The joys of capitalism. Making money by producing nothing but more money…

steve

3 Likes

Just finished it now. Have to say I found it absorbing and belted through it, for me, at a fair old speed. The ending was a great disappointment. I rarely read more than one book by an author but here I may be tempted.

The intertwining stories were skillfully done, but, yes, the ending was a let down. I rated it a 3 out of 5. His Bloody Project, however, was a 5. But not a barrel of laughs. I’m looking forward to whatever he comes up with next.

1 Like

I can cope with not a barrel of laughs as my reading diet is pretty varied. Talking of which, next up…

5 Likes

Currently reading Aldous Huxley’s Antic Hay.

2 Likes

Excellent - in another lifetime, one of toil and blood, I had a 3 hour round train journey to work and back each day.

During those years of joy on British Rail I did a lot of things, mainly waiting at a points failure outside of London Bridge - and one of those was reading pretty everything by an author, one being Aldous Huxley. In those days it was all available off the shelf. I quite enjoyed some of the non-fiction: Grey Eminence, The Devils of Loudun and Beoynd The Mexique Bay.

2 Likes

Probably more joy than Harwich/Purfleet every day A12/ M25 about hour and a half each way.
My secretary often used to drive me though. She had a way of parting the traffic on the M25 exits that I could never manage as well.
Short skirt,blonde hair,sunglasse, smile……space…….men are such fools.

1 Like

Ah I had the enforced intimacy of travelling standard class on British Rail.

3 Likes

It is always a pleasure to read a Michael Lewis book, regardless to the topic.

2 Likes

The Black Dahlia by James Ellroy. A dark, gritty crime novel set in post- WWII L.A. First book in his L.A. Quartet, which also includes L.A. Confidential.

6 Likes

Chris Duffy.

3 Likes

Limited time deal on kindle .99p

Thought to be comparable with Lizabeth Salander… Girl with the dragon tattoo.

Highly hyped so let’s hope the series is that good.

Next up after latest Bosch.

From which they made an excellent movie.
Spacey,Crowe and Kim Bassinger.

3 Likes

Robert Goddard never lets you down. Full of the expected twists,turns and false starts.

Unusual location Algeria and the old inspector and the new female secret service hot shot are investigating the (while ago)murders of many Algerians in Paris and whether those deaths were unofficially officially sanctioned.

Kindle was .99p. I use an author/ price tracking app.

2 Likes

A very good movie. Apparently Brian De Palma made a film of The Black Dahlia, but it was not well-received.

In any event, I finished the book this morning. It gets really dark. Some ugly violence. But an extremely good crime novel.

Which one?

1 Like

Thanks.

Just started this tome (700+ pages) - will be listening along as well.

I might be mentioned in the book. A few years ago I posted on the Hoffman forum that I had been out on a walk down the road in Dymchurch and passed by Henry McCullough‘s old house and a girlfriend of mine used to hang out there with Henry’s wife in the mid 70’s.

The author Adrian emailed me and asked for the location and could I possible take a picture of the house. Only information he had gleaned was that Wings drummer Denny Seiwell had been down to see Henry and it was right next to the sea. Off I went camera in hand and snapped a pic.

6 Likes