What first: PSU or new speakers?

True. I have a second SNAIC, I might just try it. Thanks.

-T

That seems to be exactly what Thomas is trying to prevent. Screwing the speakers to the stands would make 4 small holes in the base which would be hidden. Better, I would think, than large dents in the side when they go crashing to the ground.

That is exactly the scenario I am trying to avoid. And I definetely do not like the idea of drilling holes in the speakers.

But the speakers falling off the stands isnā€™t the big issue. The whole thing falling over is. If I keep the 160ā€™s, weighting the stands is the way to go, I think.

-T

Me neither, selling them would be impossible. Have you considered a pair of Dynaudio in wall speakers? If you go to the Dynaudio website, the in wall speakers are listed under ā€œ custom installā€,these would solve your problem with kids, as long as you can rip up the wall.

Agreed.

No, I havenā€™t concidered in wall.

My guess: The result would have high WAF. But the process would be on the negative side of the WAF scale, probably -100 or so (if the scale stretches from -100 to 100) and thus no in wall. :wink:

But i have definetely concidered floorstanding Dyns! Focus 260 or even a higher series. Depending on what the NAP 200 can controll.

-T

1 Like

By the way, have anyone of you heard the ProAc Response D15 on Naim kit? Preferably somewhat close to my setup? By the price tag it should be a step sideways or maybe down even from Dyn Focus 160, but what do I know. Never heard the ProAcs.

I just filled the Dynaudio Stand 3X with dry sand today. Result is alot more stabile stands, and less resonance - which in the end resulted in more definition in the bass area, and a more precise presentation from the Focus 160. Very happy with my Ā£10 upgrade. I think I will put my ideas of upgrading the speakers to rest for a while, because these speakers never stop to surprise and amuse me.

Maybe moving up the Dynaudio ladder rather than moving to some other brand. How do you guys think the 82/200 would handle Dynaudio Focus 340?

Or simply aspire to even more gains from the 160ā€™s by adding a HiCap. Time will tell.

:slightly_smiling_face:T

Thomas,
An olive Supercap can be bought very cheaply these days because everyone wants a Hicap DR or Supercap DR. Yet an 82 with a serviced olive Supercap will sound more musically satisfying than an 82 with any Hicap, every day of the week. You could also fit NA522 N phono boards in the NAC 82 and sell your Stageline.

You would then have a pre-amp that is ready for almost any power amplifier or speaker that you ask it to control.

Best regards, BF

p.s., yes, we have an 82/olive supercap/250 in the familyā€¦

I missed out on a non-DR Supercap last year as the ā€˜chainā€™ was not keen on moving it from one branch to another to try - the immediate buy decision was probably scuppered by the fact Naim decided against offering DR upgrades without a service charge at the same time - from memory this older Supercap had been very recently serviced.

Hi Bluesfan,

Thanks alot for your reply.

That sounds really promising. I will check the bay for Olive SCā€™s. I must say that I am very impressed by what the Olive 82 and the newer NAP 200 brings out of the relatively small Focus 160ā€™s.

I donā€™t know if there is a phono board fitted in my unit, so I better pay a visit to a nearby Naim dealer to find out. How do you see a 82 with onboard phono + olive SC up against a Stageline N + Flatcap 2?

-T

Not sure if I understood your post, entirely, Alley_Cat. But you missed an olive SC?

I saw a seconhand olive Supercap available at a branch of an audiosales group.

It would probably have been a good unheard purchase but I wanted to try first and couldnā€™t, or at least my deliberation meant it got sold.

Hello, in my opinon, the best bang per buck for an 82 is a pair of HiCaps, If I were you Iā€™d get a pair of serviced olive HCs if an SC is out of reach.

Hi NFG,

I might have an olive SC within reach. What is a fair price, you reckon?

-T

What do you guys think a fair price is for a second hand olive SuperCap? I found one for Ā£500.

-T

That would be an absolute bargain if it is in decent condition.

1 Like

Thanks halibut. Remains to see if he is willing to ship to Norway :slight_smile:

Some sellers can be a bit weird and think that sending stuff outside the U.K. is really difficult. Norway is hardly outer space! Itā€™s a country I really want to visit one day. Iā€™ve sent Naim to Norway, Poland, Hong Kong and lots of other places. Itā€™s not a problem.

Where do you live, Hungry? Please come when Covid gets itā€™s ass beat. Weā€™ll have a couple of GTā€™s and play some music.

We live on the South coast of England. Norway always looks so beautiful and has some brilliant jazz musicians. One of these days I want to drive up with our little caravan and spend some time there.

1 Like