What gin are you drinking, and why might someone else enjoy it?

Just spent a day wondering around Dorset with Mat Follas … long story short: his main business is now drink rather than cooking. His Old Tom gin was interesting and tasty, but not yet on the market, probably because others make a version of it too. His liqueurs are distinctive but are vodka based.

3 Likes

I was given a bottle of gin distilled in Linlithgow, near Edinburgh, called ‘Lin Gin’.

I’m not allowed to drink alcohol, but I have friends who will help to deal with the bottle.

2 Likes

Dammit…time for a third…

Still my Queen of gins. Love No 3.

3 Likes

That Fever Tree mixers are extremely popular here (not cheap either). Their tonic water is great with a good gin.

3 Likes

I wonder if that’s still available or maybe morphed into Roku with a few more botannicals?

This is the dogs bollocks

8 Likes

I used to think it was quite a nice gin - until reading your post!

Drinking this one now :

Brewdog Lone Wolf - one of my favourite gins… and as it’s cheaper than my other favourites I tend to get through more bottles than most others!

Its combination of botanicals (see image from label below) produces a flavoursome gin with the juniper very evident but well balanced by the others. It needs no added flavour, just a good tonic - my favourite if Fever Tree Loght, however I’ve recently been trying Double Dutch which is pretty good as well, with minimal contribution to flavour.
This gin used to be Lone Wolf with the blue label, that being the distinguishing characteristic of the bottle:

That was an iconic label, readily recognised in a bar or a supermarket/off licence from 20 feet away - why, oh why, have they changed to the new bland, forgettable, nondescript label of today? I have complained to their Customer Services people and received a reply saying they will inform the relevant people. Perhaps of more people express similar views they might take notice…

3 Likes

A local delicacy

1 Like

I forgot to mention this complimentary gift from Matt Folas when I mentioned his Old Tom above. The good lady drank it neat, I diluted it with Fevertree Ginger: it was pokey.

2 Likes

Agreed on the label - haven’t tasted the gin, but the new label looks cheap and unattractive - seeing it on a shelf wouldn’t encourage me to try it. The old psychedelic wolf head looked much better.

That is a great combo. Cheers!

1 Like

Sure is…drinking one right now.
I still prefer the old dark green bottle (below), much as the new one has a strong Art Deco feel. Thankfully, the gin remained unchanged - as far as I can taste!

4 Likes

No 3 is my wifes favourite, always have a bottle open at home. We also have Otter Brewery New Moon which is distilled 5 miles from my house in Devon.

5 Likes

One for the list, thanks…how is New Moon, compared?

As for No 3, I currently have three bottles on the shelf, and am down to a third on the fourth…er, if you get my drift :melting_face:

I will ask the wife as she is the gin drinker, my poison is armangac! From what I remember her saying it was pretty much as per the online reviews when drunk with Fevertree refrehlingly light tonic.

From the website What about the nose?

smelling Fresh, citrus balance on the spirit

What does taste like

New Moon has tones of juniper and citrus, which roll through to a rounded zesty note, and a hint of the south seas.

It has a smooth mouth feel with a lingering balance of spices to finish. Very refreshing.

1 Like

Not quite sure what a hint of the South Seas tastes like… :smiley:

All I can think of is Rum and coconuts!

Dusky maidens, gritty white sands, and a touch of camomile. :rofl:

1 Like

Roots New Zealand Gin 45% alcohol
Made In Marlborough on a farm. Has gorse flower, grapefruit and local hops amongst others. Recently voted worlds best gin.

5 Likes

I’ll keep an eye for that. :+1:

1 Like