What gin are you drinking, and why might someone else enjoy it?

Never tried that one but agree the new label looks utterly naff.

The original artwork looks rather Eastern in style - I wonder if the artwork could have been too similar to something else and had to be replaced?

Either that or some modern marketing ploy to make the brand appear more ‘inclusive’.

Silent Pool or Bathtub Gin. There are so many gins. Plus anything cheap to make sloe gin with sugar and lots of time.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Saw this Ukiyo Japanese Blossom Gin in the local supermarket, thought I’d give it a shot as I enjoy Suntory’s Roku which also has Sakura Blossom as one of the botanicals:

Certainly unusual but probably not one I’d buy again.

Extremely floral with an unusual citrus background, which all made for a rather sickly overpowering taste which somehow, to me at least tasted of rather artificial flavours.

Well diluted with tonic I’ll probably use it, but one glass was quite enough last night. Perhaps it’d work better with chilled soda water or neat with ice, but my instincts were probably correct pre-purchase but I fancied trying something different.

Suspect their Yuzu Gin or Rice Vodka would be more to my taste.

I’d be interested ot know if anyone else has tried this.

3 Likes

Mmmm … that looks good. I’ll have to see if it’s available in the colonies (Canada).

Well, I think you may be on to something here, crispy. I tried to move my wife on, or up to, the standard Tanqueray, but she went right back to Beefeaters. It’s always been her favourite (for some 45 years now), ever since my father used to make her a healthy G&T whenever we came round for a visit.
I’ve bought her Bombay Sapphire, Tanqueray, and a few others just to try them, but she says none of them have that special, desirable, bite that Beefeaters has. Since it’s, as you say, one of the cheaper ones … I’m not complaining.

And we aren’t enamoured with the flavoured gins or vodkas either. I guess we’re purists at heart. Like raspberry or grapefruit beer, gimme a break …

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Did they have other gin variants before?

If not I wonder if it was a temporary labelling change before launching several alongside it.

I got this one a week or so ago - I was surprised to find cactus gives a strawberry/melon taste I’d have imagined it would have been more like a cucumber taste or similar, very enjoyable:

This afternoon saw this and wonder if it’s your original one rebadged again as the plain label one is sold out on the manufacturer’s website:

Both are on a Nectar deal currently for about £21 (£6-7 off).

There are at least another 2 variants on the Brew Dog website.

The bottle is a nice textured design too (as many of them are) and has a good stopper.

1 Like

My sister’s a Yorkshire Tea girl so a friend bought her this:

She found it undrinkable, so offered it to me. It is a bit odd, but with Schweppes and plenty of lemon it’s fairly palatable. I won’t be replacing it when it runs dry, though.

Mark

1 Like

My local Brighton Gin is reckoned to be pretty good. I have no idea where in or around Brighton it is produced.

1 Like

Mason’s Tea is a gin I find utterly undrinkable: I was given a bottle as a gift but every time I took a sip I just gagged, several attempts over a week.

The kitchen sink didn’t reject it, so there is that.

1 Like

Whitby Gin - The Demeter Edition.

"The Demeter Edition is inspired by the world-famous story of Dracula.

The Demeter is the vessel which brought Count Dracula to the shore of Whitby one stormy night.

This gin is a rich and juniper-forward spirit with sweet notes of plum and a spiced finish."

I’m more of a single malt person myself, but my son-in-law enjoys the occasional gin, so this is part of his Chrissy present this year.

Mind you, I might well be tempted by this one:

Whitby Gin - Real Rhubarb.

“The unique “forced rhubarb” cultivation method, where the rhubarb is shielded from sunlight to enhance its sweetness and vibrant color, has been a cherished tradition in Yorkshire since the 19th Century.”

“Our Yorkshire rhubarb gin boasts a delightful 42% ABV, blending our traditional coastal ingredients with Yorkshire’s finest rhubarb.”

And tha dun’t get mooch more Yorkshire than that, sithee.

3 Likes

That rhubarb I’d like to try!
I usually drink Warner-Edwards Rhubarb, so a competitor would be good.

1 Like

It’s a bit spooky, surely, to have a red Whitby Gin, given its literary connection - courtesy of Bram Stoker - to the vampiric Count Dracula.

1 Like

I’ll look some out when I’m in Hove Wednesday

The Framers Wife, summer gin.

These guys make a great seasonal gin, it’s all made at Allworth (NSW).

2 Likes

IMG_2122

With the price of premium gins remaining stubbornly high at Xmas levels we have gone on a search.
So off to ASDA to help them with their new range.

Quite a brave and unique profile. The main botanic seems to be crabapple with a drying slightly fusty feel in the mouth.
Plus the usual culprits. Not overly junipered.
Different but I am sure it will win me over, I disliked Lone Wolf at first taste.
About £15.00 a 40 proof bottle. So you can afford to experiment.

That must be old, and very under strength! (70 proof as was the required strength and unit decades ago is approx 40% alcohol by volume, today’s required unit.) :grin: