What now for 272 owners?

Having owned the Vega G2.1 and still own ATC SCM40A, then I would not buy the G2.1 at present.

Installing Audirvana on a computer / NAS will get you Qobuz. Earlier version was better value (one-time payment), but they’ve at least reduced the price of the new subscription service.

2 Likes

When I bought the ATC I was supplied with some 4m thin blue cables (Din to XLR) which I seem to remember he said was Mogami. I’m fairly handy with a soldering iron so could just replace the DIN with XLR, but the 2549 is very inexpensive for a new pair. Noticed the ATC have gone up over 50% from what I paid in 2016.
A 2 box solution like 272/555 does have good WAF, which partly why we choose actives and not the 300DR which would have replaced the 250DR

This may be a foolish question but why are so many 272 owners focussed on what to replace it with…… are they unhappy with their 272, is it so out of date, wearing out?

I can understand looking to get the best out of a 272 based system by adding or upgrading components - I did just that - but why replace what was generally accepted as one of Naim’s best ever midrange products that cannot be more than 5-6 years old? After all, look how many CB product owners there appear to be, still seeking out pre-owned additions to their systems.

Naim may, or may not, replace the 272 and, if they do, then look objectively at what that may offer existing users, until then continue to enjoy what is one of their best offerings……ever.

Just thinking aloud,

ATB, J

2 Likes

Just like an 8-track player is not obsolete. The 272 is a lovely box as it is - but dont pretend it has the functions most buyers expect.

No-one is ‘pretending’ anything.

And the eight-track comparision is totally unfair.

The NAC N-272 was - and remains - an excellent performer with support for the world’s most popular streaming services and local streaming.

Its eventual successor will have a hard act to follow.

4 Likes

Because of the sacrosanct reduction of box count I presume

I still enjoy My 272 as much as the first day I’ve owned it. And it still sounds every bit as good.

I think many of us would like to see an updated version like e.g. NDX2 with the screen and The new streaming platform.

But I’m in no rush…

3 Likes

Hi @NoNaim I see you have gone from 272/555, to Auralic and now Uniti Atom HE, all into ATC 40 actives (I think I’m correct?).Interested to hear from you why the changes and does to Uniti Atom meet your expectations?

Hi @PaulW
Yes, you are correct in the steps I have made. The 272/555 was only used with PMC Twenty 5 26 and not the ATC SCM40A. The Atom HE is quite a remarkable unit, for the price. However, it is only a loan item, while I await it’s permanent replacement. I would like to say more, but Richard Dane will delete my post and ensure further replies by me are vetted. I have already been punished once already, next time would probably lead to expulsion from this forum. Please do not think that I’m trying to be evasive to your enquiry. :grinning:

1 Like

…so, an eventual successor Clare, following a hard act…excellent. Cant wait :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes, a newer transport can be added for better internet streaming options, but it goes against the simplicity of the low box count. Like the older Uniti’s, it’s still a. Dry good option, especially if you can wire it to your Ethernet.

272/555dr/250 dr = 3 boxes
Ndx2/ 282/ Hicap/ 250 dr = 4 boxes. Much better, only 1 box more.

4 and a little bit FR, the 282 needs the NAPSC (it’s very little, so I’ve not classed it as a full box)as well as the HICAP.

1 Like

Ok thanks @NoNaim I wouldn’t want to get you into trouble :wink:

Mogamis are the best

I have ATC 50As, was comparing during the last show Auralic and Cambridge Audio Edge NQ. To me, the Edge NQ was sounding better. It also has XLRs out and analog preamp …

Is it really? I’ve heard those here claiming the difference marginal at a best and absolutely not worth the hassle.

1 Like

If it’s better it doesn’t justify the other box afaic. Btdt.

Fellas it doesn’t matter what is better. There is an option within the Naim product line to suit anyones preferences. Just get what you like and are comfortable with and enjoy… they all sound good :blush:

9 Likes