What’s going to happen?

Sucks fellow kiwi ( even though I live over the ditch)

2 Likes

We’ll all be buying from @Pete_the_painter’s dealer.

I wonder, actually, whether Tom Tom audio might ship second hand Naim gear to NZ and Australia?

2 Likes

Pete’s dealer is my dealer - best there is , I’m seeing him tomorrow, I’ll let him know ha😛

3 Likes

From my understanding Real Music company will continue to service Naim gear bought from them. We can still buy Naim gear from them till end of March. I am sure other people at Real Music are trained in servicing Naim gear after Chris eventually retires. So it not all bad.

The problem is getting the Naim’d spec bits, I’m sure Mr Murphy is aware of the +/- of the caps etc like Mark Slade is so it would be possible if he wanted to continue the correct servicing without Naim sanctioned parts. If that was the case I’d be happy as a sand boy on a sand pit, speaking for myself of course as I have Olive gear. Even if Naim use the existing network (setup by Mr Murphy) I’d still use Chris with said parts. Unless some contracted had to be honoured…

1 Like

No they won’t sell bigger ticket items to down under for some strange reason, could be the complete customs arse of selling to overseas. It’s hard to get folks in the UK to send overseas full stop.

2 Likes

Just for the record, I wouldn’t imagine Chris Murphy’s going to dis Naim audio in public in any way shape or form. It’s obviously beena good to great relationship over many many years, I get the impression Richard has respect for Chris as I’m sure many other Naim employees do. Just things have changed. While it’s emotional as an end user which To me is because Music is emotional to start with, or course we are cheesed off with what’s happen. The next move is Naim’s by putting into place and making it public who and what’s going to happen to Kiwi land. Im setup for the next 10 yearsjust the lp12 has to get some lovin.

2 Likes

While none of us are happy with Chris losing out and even less so that some of our trusted dealers may also not be carrying Naim stuff anymore I thought I’d investigate the main concern, servicing. I followed the current distributors links on their website to the Naim service details, sent them an email asking if they could recap a 250. Received a reply this morning confirming that it can be done in house in Sydney (there could be a delay with parts). So we can rest easy that servicing is not a problem in Aus. We still maybe unsure what will happen in NZ but at worst it will be easier to send your stuff to Sydney than the UK.

Think like a few people here I’ve allowed emotion to override facts

4 Likes

What is the distance between @Mike_S town and Sydney?

It’s across the ditch (the Tasman Sea), not sure how far but it’s a hell of a lot closer than the UK especially if you’re swimming. :grin:

3 Likes

“What will happen” in New Zealand is what I’m saying . So for you it is as it has been for a while but for us, it maybe a very big difference. If servicing is removed from NZ the courier goes from $20 one way to $200+ one way, the complete drama of the Nz and Aussie customs agency’s is just another cherry on top then the time frame. I’ll get my 135’s back within a few days if Chris is in Wellington, if not I’ll be told we will call you when he’s back. None of this send it in and you may have to wait for us to get the parts.
So no drama just the reality has hit home. Until we are informed otherwise as it stands what has happen is not in the best interests of the New Zealand Naim community imo.

4 Likes

I did say that I was unsure of NZ, however I’d be surprised if Naim didn’t make some local arrangement for servicing. If they don’t I’m sure there’s plenty here that will make some noise. I do think Naim should confirm if they haven’t already maybe @Naim.Marketing can throw some light on this. It’s the least they can do. It’s unfair to not keep their customers informed I’m surprised that no one from Naim has joined in on this thread to help.

1 Like

Naim should well remember the well trodden statement - treat their retail dealers and customers with respect

It’s all they’ve got :blush:

2 Likes

Just another Hifi company man, the era is over. I enjoy the boxes they make but it’s not the be all and end all that’s for sure. Naim have a cult following over here and it not only due to the box but also the retailers. It’s is what it is not what it could be or should be. Let see what happens…

2 Likes

True we seem to get a little emotional about these black boxes, but if somethings not right the best way to vote is with your wallet. I do believe they owe people an answer though. Hopefully someone will respond.

Hi all,

I think this story has been bubbling away for at least a year (I’m sure I have seen something a couple of times on the forum) I have also heard this verbally from a very reliable source (not my great local dealer I hasten to add)

So I’m sure that everyone wouldn’t have accepted our hard earned cash over the last year if Naim didn’t have some kind of plan with their change in distributor. So I’m eagerly waiting as a loyal NZ customer to hear their intentions and thoughts moving forward.

Cheers

1 Like

I’m looking into it; not my area at all, but i’ll see what I can find out!

1 Like

Thank you.

I will consider doing my own servicing if it can’t be done in NZ, it’s not rocket surgery replacing capacitors, I have done it on several other amps and built a couple of kit amps and have become proficient with a soldering iron. If naim place that sort of value on their loyal customers it makes me wonder what value do they place on their product. Maybe the next step is manufacture in China?

I can understand your frustration, but please don’t let it stray into groundless speculation. While our entry-level Mu-so products are made (under close quality control) in China, the rest of the Naim range is proudly made in Salisbury and will continue to be so. I will be back as soon as I have any info on your specific situation.

1 Like