What’s the last movie you saw in the cinema

Glad you got to see the new print on the large screen Kev. It contains more wit and invention in one film than many directors have in their whole careers

2 Likes

Great fun, recommended :+1:t3:

1 Like

Went to see Ferrari over the break. Not what I was expecting, without doing a spoiler it could easily have been called Mille Miglia 1957 as the film was set in just that year. Maybe there will be many more films in this fashion with different periods ? Photography was good with the same group who did LeMans 1966. Worth a watch but didn’t really learn anything about the man that is already pretty common knowledge.

1 Like

Last night I went to see ‘The Boy and The Heron’ - the latest (and probably the last) film by Hayao Miyazaki from Studio Ghibli. It contains quite possibly the most beautiful images seen in a cartoon ( nothing from Pixar comes anywhere close) and they just keep on coming. However, the story is an absolute chaotic mess, even by Studio Ghibli’s eclectic standards. Allegedly it is about grief but it is really a series of beautiful but unrelated scenes that have very little narrative arc. Would I recommend seeing on the big screen? Yes - the artwork deserves to be seen on a very big screen. Just stunning. However, don’t expect the emotional heft of Ghibli’s best films, particularly ‘Spirited Away’

4 Likes

Watched One Life last night and it’s very good.

I bought this on DVD or BluRay years ago when my daughter loved ballet.

I’ve never bloody watched it which annoys me.

Can’t find the DVD/BluRay or any reference to purchase on various sites.

It may be on BrtitBox - will investigate.

2 Likes

Yes, on BritBox, I’m captivated an hour in. Where on earth has civilisation gone?

2 Likes

I honestly can’t believe I’ve not watched it before as I think I’d surely remember. Thoroughly enjoyed it via projector, and it made me wish I could have experienced life in those days, though you’d probably have had to have been reasonably affluent to enjoy/appreciate much of it. A truly magical production.

Mrs AC has seen it before, and I’m probably quite glad I hadn’t shown it to our daughter when she was younger (maybe not even now). Still convinced I have it on BluRay somewhere but I suspect that restoration won’t match the one you saw.

1 Like

Went to see Wonka yesterday, not really my usual thing but it was OK.

Lots of familiar faces in the supporting cast who for the most part did a better job than the lead, Timothy Chalamet, imo. I just didn’t find him charismatic in the role at all. Though I wasn’t completely sold on him in Dune either but I think he was more suited to that.

scrub scrub…

Yep, I can’t help but feel that Paul King (director, writer and ‘based on a story by…’) is a fan of Horrible Histories! Which is no bad thing…And I did like the on screen references to Not the nine o’clock news, ‘…Boosh…’ and a few lines from other movies too :wink:

1 Like

Mr Lanthimos’s latest effort… typically ‘odd’, nice visuals, amusing in places with alot more ‘vigorous jumping’ than the trailers would suggest.

3 Likes

Same film different poster…

It may only be the third week of January, but it’s hard to imagine that there will be a funnier, filthier or more extravagantly peculiar film this year than Yorgos Lanthimos’s latest picture, his second feature film collaboration with star Emma Stone.

1 Like

Just home from seeing The Beekeeper. Liked it for what it is.

I went to see the new film from Jonathan Glazer this afternoon - The Zone of Interest. Utterly brilliant. Based on the book by Martin Amis who talked about ‘the banality of evil’. Watching the happy life of the Commandant of Auschwitz and his family while the horrors of the unseen camp next door play out is very disconcerting. The soundtrack by Mica Levi adds to that sense of dissociation.

Talking of great films, a couple of weeks ago I went to see Poor Things. If Emma Stone doesn’t win the Oscar I will be very surprised

4 Likes

Napoleon, and it was terrible.

3 Likes

We went to see Poor Things yesterday and really enjoyed it. Plenty of “vigorous jumping” but it didn’t seem a gratuitous amount. Quirky and surreal and beautifully filmed with wonderful sets and costumes. I know Emma Stone picked up a BAFTA last night, but Mark Ruffalo also puts in an enjoyably OTT performance as her travelling companion. Recommended by me.

2 Likes

American Fiction. A slowish start but a funny and sensitive film. Well worth seeing.

The Holdovers. As a child who went to boarding school this was a little close to my reality, safely tucked in a mind box, but it was excellent. Very funny and emotional. Da’Vine was wonderful and fully deserving of her praise and awards.

‘Anatomy of a Fall’. Classy.

‘Zone of Interest’ next, this weekend.

G

1 Like

Werner Herzog’s remake of the original silent classic. Klaus Kinski as ‘D’, Isabelle Adjani as ‘a lovely throat’… overly slow in places and not a patch on the original.

3 Likes