What’s the last movie you saw in the cinema

I went to the cinema with a good friend last week. The film was a joy for the senses.

3 Likes

In honour of International Labour Day went to see a film about a Japanese bog cleaner. Kept waiting for some Wim Wenders Teutonic nuttiness but it never came - beautifully shot, meditative and yes charming. Cool soundtrack too.

Perfect_Days_poster

1 Like

If there are no other pleasures to Wicked Little Letters beyond the tome’s worth of expletives launched by Olivia Colman and Jessie Buckley, then so be it. That’s plenty enough to sustain this witty, joyously written piece of forgotten history, scripted by comedian Jonny Sweet.

3 Likes

Civil War this afternoon. A tough but captivating watch about America falling apart in civil war from a journalist perspective, highly recommended.

3 Likes

My better half conned me into seeing Fall Guy, what utter rubbish. 2 1/2 hours I’ll never get back. If not the worst film I’ve seen I’d have be in the top 3.

3 Likes

Oh dear, I thought the trailers for Planet Of The Apes :orangutan: looked good though.

I haven’t seen any since Charlton Heston …

1 Like

I had to watch about 10 minutes of that before that horrible thing we watched. I’d had just been told my procedure wouldn’t happen that day, Mrs Pete thought it’d would take my mind of it.

1 Like

Mrs Pete seems of sound mind and sturdy resolve

1 Like

That she is.

1 Like

This is a fabulous movie, a must for P&P nuts:

4 Likes

A lean, mean 70 minutes long, Following is one of those apparently simple fables that carry a needling resonance. Its subject is a blocked writer (Jeremy Theobald) who begins following random strangers in the street; one of his targets turns out to be a burglar, who takes our voyeuristically inclined hero along to his next break-in. Replete with fractured narrative structure and confident, handheld cinematography, Nolan’s film is a rare home-grown example of the kind of micro-budget effort churned out by the bucketload in the US.

Screenshot 2024-07-26 at 17.12.23
Some will enjoy it, others will think they should have not have wasted their time or money .

I am firmly in the later, shame Hugh Jackman really tried his best .

We’re entertaining our 11yo great niece for a few days and she insisted we went to see this. Great fun…

3 Likes

We loved it!

Went to see the new “The Count of Monte Cristo” (Le Comte de Monte Cristo), at the Open-Air Cinema in - almost appropriately enough - Monte Carlo.

It’s a three hour movie but which just flies by, and justifies all the hoo-hah.

The most expensive French film ever made, which is apparent in its recreation of 19th century Marseille and Paris. Lavish and big-screen-worthy.

It’s reasonably faithful to the book, but then in many ways the book is only partially faithful to the book/story, and given the innumerable times the story has been filmed, it’s good that there are new twists. The fundamental moral of course remains the same.

Dumas was France’s Dickens in many ways, and it’s great that his books continue to inspire.

We really enjoyed it.

2 Likes

I’ve taken a few of our grandkids to the earlier ones and totally enjoyed them.

2 Likes

We streamed all the earlier ones on Saturday before we saw this one. Have the feeling that this will be the last in the Despicable Me series.

I wouldn’t be sure about that, they keep making money. However I think it should be the last end on a high.

2 Likes

Saw the latest Alien film , after Covenant and Prometheus was not expecting that much , very pleasantly (or unpleasantly ) surprised .

A film where AI is used to produce an AI

Screenshot 2024-08-20 at 16.43.11

2 Likes

yes i liked it too…

1 Like