What’s the last movie you saw in the cinema

Roger Waters - Us and Them. I think it can be classed as a movie.

Stunning, angry and potty mouthed

Joker. Dark film. Could have had a little more depth to it, or a twist, but overall I enjoyed it. Joaquin Phoenix is brilliant. The use of Gary Glitter’s Rock & Roll part 2 as he dances down the steps was a touch of genius. Clever choice.

Last week. Awesome sound and picture quality, as one would expect, and some of the music is ecellent – although I won’t be bothered if I never heard “Wish You Were Here” ever again. A pity some of the numbers from Is This The Life We Really Want? he played in the latter stages of the Us + Them tour were omitted, perhaps they will turn up on the blu-ray.

Highlight of the whole shebang is “Pigs”, as well as the short “behind the scenes” doc they showed afterwards.

One suspicious note: the audience seemed suspiciously young, suspiciously good-looking and suspiciously enraptured. Where are all the fat, balding, middle-aged men and their bored-looking wives that Chuckles seems to attract? :wink:

1 Like

What a great film. That Phoenix boy is quite good isn’t he?

Not many jokes in it though… Well, there are two. And they are funny.

3 Likes

As it was raining still, we stopped by the cinema to see Judy. Renée Zellweger is brilliant in it but I thought the film was rather slow and so not one I would recommend.

Best

David

2 Likes

Untaxing (but for fans revelatory) documentary on Rock’s First Lady of Leather, a real trailblazer and pioneer - this film gives Suzi her due…

3 Likes

chambre 212, by Christophe Honoré. disappointing.

I saw a re-release of Lawrence of Arabia this summer. I had never seen it on the big screen. What a great film.

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/tcm2019-lawrence-of-arabia-1962

3 Likes

A bit of an old-fashioned* sort of film but none the worse for it…

Official Secrets last weekend. Keira Knightley was superb as the morally driven Katharine Gun. Great cast, Fiennes et al. Talking of driving, our heroine’s husband’s car was a Mk2 Golf which brought a little glow of its own.

*Cameras on tripods, good lighting etc

Hors Normes, french comedy on a serious subject, the autism. With Vincent Cassel.

Saw The Shining at local cinema last night, not seen in ages and forgot just how great it is. Not sure if it was remastered or just a more modern sound system doing it but the sound was immense, howling winds etc. Loved it !

1 Like

Ford Vs., Ferrari

Went to the movies with the wife this evening and must say it was an enjoyable film! It was not the Mrs’s cup of tea and I’m sure I will be joining her to see ‘A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood’ before too long.

5 Likes

My Wife and I also thoroughly enjoy this movie, although i must admit to being a Ford Mustang/Shelby lover of the 60’s 70’s era, Next week it’s Bruce’s Western Star, really enjoying the album so expectations are high and hoping the theatre sound system is good enough
Paul

1 Like

Also saw it, very good . Far better than on Blu Ray at home, even with a Naim system

We went to see this a few days ago. Here in the UK it’s called Le Mans ‘66 but it’s the same film. It was excellent and my wife and I really enjoyed it. It really got across how dangerous motor racing was in those days. I read in a review here in the UK that they had $200M worth of old Ferraris in one scene. Getting all of those together must have been quite a task for some researcher or production assistant!

Best

David

1 Like

Last Polanski. Very good :+1:

1 Like

I see that Gremlins is being re-released at the Cinema😀

Brilliant movie that stands the test of time, as it seems it was 35 YEARS ago that I saw it for the first time!!!

Might go back for the big screen experience.

The Termagant forced me to watch this sickly and sick-making farrago with her the other week. It’s the worst film I’ve ever seen – and I’ve seen Catwoman AND Love Actually. Although I’ve not seen Cats (and hopefully never will).

1 Like

It’s a Wonderful Life, yesterday lunchtime.

Longer and more moral than I remembered.

3 Likes

My 10 year old daughter dragged me to this with her best friend and, since it’s a 12A, I had no choice. I have to admit I really enjoyed it!