What’s the last movie you saw in the cinema

Went to see 1917 this evening with my son.

Wow, we thought it was amazing.

The single take / real time / hand held / cinematography pulls you into the story and reality of the horrors of War. If you liked Dunkirk, in my view this is just as compelling.

1 Like

Ford v Ferrari this lunchtime, at the Truro Plaza Silver cinema club. £4 per ticket, free coffee and biscuits! I suppose there have to be some perks to this getting older lark.

What an entertaining film; a little overlong perhaps, definitely predictable in terms of both plot and characterisation (the Ford execs could easily have passed for pantomime villains, and as for the tear jerking denouement…!). Nonetheless, great fun.

Doubt I’ll ever watch it again (unlike RocknRolla which has just finished on my DVD player), but one of the better films of recent months in my book.

I saw ford v Ferrari in the imax cinema Manchester. Better on the big screen.
Any film is better on imax worth the extra ticket price.

Brian1

Every IMAX I go to always smells of sweaty teenagers!

I’m sure it is, but the train fare to London (nearest iMax) from Cornwall, meals and hotel for the night might just swing it for the local flea pit!

1 Like

1917 Brilliant film!

1 Like

Just back from seeing David Copperfield. Wonderful film - funny, generous, warm-hearted and surprisingly moving. Great ensemble cast - standouts are Tilda Swindon, Peter Capaldi and Hugh Laurie. Favourite film of the year so far (and yes that includes 1917)

1 Like

Little Women. A book I hated as a child, a film, this film, I loved as an adult. Everything I found hard work with the book has been reshaped to a very finely textured, clever, mature and highly watchable film.

Saw this last night. FAR better than I thought it would be from the cinema trailers last year.

Not quite as ”Mare’can” as it could have been and although they did fast track history a little (plus some Americans still find a ‘stick shift’ a wonder clearly) it bounced along nicely for its 2 1/2 hours.

Just back from David Copperfield and loved it, a very warm and lovely movie - well worth seeing.

1 Like

I have always had nice clean people when I go to imax perhaps I am lucky looking forward to top gun 2 and James Bond
Rain 1

Excellent film of course. It’s a long time since I’ve been in a cinema and the whole audience goes Eeeeugh! at the same time. And then jumps out of their seat at another…

3 Likes

We saw that today. Indiana Jones and the Last Man Standing. Scripting by dial-a-cliché. Jump now. Cry now. Token woman in distress. A baby too. Don’t forget the token friendly Sikh. A bit of shellshock. A rat!! The trenches are about to collapse!! Will he survive the plunge over the waterfall?? Of course!! Will he escape the nasty stereotyped German?Of course? Run over that bridge! Hurrah. Will he make it to the Devons? Of course!!! Hurrah!! The perfect film for those who like everything simple and as expected. Good grief. Little Women was just so much better.

Enjoyed it at time but it hasn’t stayed with me and there is a fair amount in what you have said. David Copperfield much better

Yes, I loved that. Not a lot of depth but great fun.

Indeed but tolerant, generous and warm-hearted and we desperately need more of that

Took my daughter (25) to see David Copperfield today and we both really enjoyed the new version. Great cast, performances and storytelling - which was what it was all about!

It was well done. If anyone would like to see a movie that does the best job of communicating the tension of modern warfare, watch The Hurt Locker. It’s the single best war movie I have ever seen.

1 Like

Decided to give Birds of Prey / Harley Quinn a viewing last night… One of the loudest (continuously) fims I have ever seen, too full on and too violent for my tastes. It was sort of fun, but in an extreme way. My son commented that they were probably going for Deadpool’s audience.

We went to see The Lighthouse earlier. It’s wonderful cinematography and very engrossing but I’m not sure I’d say it’s enjoyable. It’s one of those films that is so immersive that you feel rather shell shocked at the end.