What upgrade will Santa bring you for Christmas?

The Uniti2 will make very nice music for you. Do you still have the Quads or are they gone? Such iconic speakers!

1 Like

Santa arrived early with some demo ATC SCM11s. They continue to give as they keep getting better. More impact and extension with less effort all without losing any speed or timing. Jon Honeyball hit the nail on the head. They are stupid good for the money.

1 Like

No sorry Bart I sold them years ago , The wife Said "get rid of them bloody radiators " so I did to my great regret (it was 50/50 though her or the speakers ,what can I say Iā€™m a pushover )
The Quads , I bought them from Phil green a hifi rebuilder from Leicester, had fully refurbished them like new , and lso I had a Sonus faber Musica amplifier (a used one but simply stunning sound that pairing) with a Marantz CD-17 KI SIGNATURE in my own hifi room , Bo hoo I still miss the set up lol

1 Like

My wife gets an equal vote about the hi fi aesthetics as well. I own the ā€˜which boxesā€™ decisions (itā€™s my money she says), but overall aesthetics is a totally shared process. And she enjoys music as much as we do, so itā€™s a good partnership. Have a great Christmas!

2 Likes

Your a very lucky man , years ago I took my wife years ago to a fishing shop ,( she saw the prices & then no more new fishing gear ) same with hifi but now I donā€™t take her anymore to hifi shops I buy used online only ) softly softly catchy monkey. Merry christmas to all

1 Like

My wife loves to fish more than I do. Sheā€™d be happy to go shopping for a fly rod! (Weā€™ll do some fishing on an upcoming holiday)

Please donā€™t tell me sheā€™s a Corden bleu cook as well , or that really will p+++ me off lol

I have had the SCM 11s for just over six months now, and they are really good value - one reviewer described them as Ā£2,500 level speakers. They are ā€˜easyā€™ on room positioning due to the closed cabinet, and respond well to different levels of power amplification.

I have even driven them direct from my DAC/pre with no poweramp, although that configuration has now changed to a different poweramp as I found a S/h one for a good price ( good brand, but non-Naim).

True Signal interconnects for 300 and NDS

Love them

1 Like

Yes, i have a silver ultimate on trial din to din, and will probably buy their revelation speaker cable in the new year.

Not kidding: New wife. Sheā€™s a vocalist. Iā€™d listen to her reading a phonebook.

3 Likes

To the OP, oh come on, are you seriously suggesting that a Naim XS set with Allaes can be improved upon?!!! :slight_smile:

Merry Christmas, whatever Father Christmas brings you!

C.

2 Likes

Just pulled the trigger on a NDX2 being delivered 31st.
Once up and running will move the ND5SX2 on.

Probably a bad move as I will be itching to get a PSU for it, then upgrade the SN2, then upgrade the speakersā€¦
:see_no_evil:

Santa brought me an early present - a 7th gen iPad for $100 off msrp. My old one got pretty slow (it was an original iPad Air) ā€“ slow even just as a Roon controller. So for like $250.00 I got the current model, albeit only 32 gb storage but itā€™s really only a Roon controller and perhaps something to take on holiday.

@mickdale donā€™t know if you have seen my posts on my NDX re power cables, if you get the chance demo NDX2 with a Titan Elecktra lead - I have had one on my NDX for a couple of weeks now the Ā£Ā£Ā£ spent vs the muscial return is nothing short of breath taking my thoughts about adding a PSU have been put on hold the lead is that good!!

Congratulations! The NDX 2 and the SN 2 are a fine pair! I ran with my pair for 6 months before borrowing a demo XPS DR from the dealer and after a week or so of listening I placed the order. I would recommend having the funding to buy before the demo, once you listen you will want one.

I plan on staying with a four box max system but may change speakers before I retire. Anyway, have fun wherever your journey leadsā€¦

3 Likes

Goos choice @Bart. Thatā€™s exscvtly what I was going to do, but changed my mind and got a 64GB iPad Pro 11. I am using it as Roon Controller, but also for other things. I also have the folio keyboard and just got an Apple Pencil 2 for it while I was in Portland OR over the weekend (where thereā€™s no sales tax).

2 Likes

IMO, adding a PSU is the main reason for getting a NDX2 over a ND5XS2. Thatā€™s why I picked it and I bought a s/h XPS DR within two months of getting the NDX2.

4 Likes

I bought a brand new IPad Air 2 for 230 euros, on eBay. It came without a cable and charger. I made an inquiry towards eBay and they refunded me 2 weeks after the total money !
So brand new air 2 16 GO for free!

1 Like

thanks for the tip Antz, will investigate