What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2022?

I’m sure it will make a huge difference, I bought a Dragonfly recently and it’s transformed my iPhone.

Needed to buy the apple camera adapter for it to work properly, but Audioquest did recommend that however.

:open_mouth: Castors!?

Of course, it’s convenient :grin:
For the moment…

1 Like

It’s weird. From China to France it’s about 70/80 euros. Total is 430 euros and probably 40 euros FedEx taxes. You are in Sweden, not?

What are your thoughts on the PLL mode?

My first foray into vinyl for about 30 odd years. The Roksan Attessa arrived this morning and I am gobsmacked how good it is, even though I only have two 10 inch Chris Rea LP’s to test it with. Need to start building the collection up!!

31 Likes

I would leave it on 100%. I even have a Singxer SU-6 and I still leave PLL on, only downside is the initial lock time but it’s really good and helps clean up noisy sources. Especially optical say from a TV.

In the context of a NDX2 and XPS DR, that’s quite something!

Yes, I am in Sweden rooster, and for the transport they wanted 450 euros via FedEx and just like you say it usually costs about 80 euros from China. It seems that they deliberately keep a lower price on the product to make it look attractive, and then charge a very high transport fee.

1 Like

It’s not as good as the NDX2 but I was very pleasantly surprised as to how good the Roksan is, especially considering the massive difference in cost. It’s a different presentation and even MrsT who doesn’t really pay any attention to hifi enjoyed the music it made, just need some LP’s to play on it, wish I had never sold my old vinyl collection!

3 Likes

Interesting Rob at magna hifi suggested if you have a good source it can actually be counter productive.

I would imagine if the source was something along the lines of a DCS bridge or Rockna NET that might be true.

If anything I can tell when the source has a better power supply. The Lumin U2 mini for example clearly exposed the dirty psu in the Aries. I loved the sound quality of the Lumin but without using Roon it’s just not worth the frustration of the default app.

Low Jitter is important for sure but I’d say at a certain point the power supply noise becomes the most important factor once jitter is below a certain inaudible threshold.

All I can say is try it on and off for yourself and let us know your thoughts. I tried mine off for a bit and hated it, but an Aries Femto is hardly end game source even with a SU-6.

So far the ND5XS2 is serving up better SQ than my Aries/su6 combo!

1 Like

a 10K VA balanced power supply

11 Likes

It’s officIal - my 2nd Naim box is here and will be staying! Goodbye Aries - you were great for the $. Welcome home ND5XS2!

24 Likes

Next, Tesla Powerwall and completely be cut off the grid when listening to music :sunglasses:

1 Like

Did you notice any difference with it in the supply?

So it’s official! The current wait time for an ND5 XS2 is 11 months and 3 weeks!! Arrived today and now starting the slow burn-in process, though, out of the box, it immediately sounds pretty impressive through my M-Scaler/Qutest. Anyone care to share how long it will take to fully settle in? Also, I am now considering a server to partner with it - one that is going to be largely plug & forget; it must be easy to rip CDs to and must also automatically store any Hi-Res downloads. Thinking Melco/Innuos but I’d be very grateful for any pointers here…

19 Likes

Very happy yours turned up! Been watching your patient comments about it for a while, hope it was worth the wait, I’m sure it will be :slight_smile:

Not sure if @soulrider4ever 's was new too, if it was, two ND5 XS2s in the same day might be a sign of improvements to supply, here’s hoping it is

1 Like

I didnt really notice a burn in…i know sacrilege :grin: i have a small synology NAS that works well. Its on my network so i use my pc to rip cds and download music to it. Just added a holo audio spring 3 dac…you shouldnt listen to yourND5XS2 with one, you may end up spending. A few more £:wink:

Ouch. With the way vinyl prices are going that’s an expensive mistake. I kept mine thankfully, although investigation has shown I was far from careful with them in my youth :confounded:

I’ve found the best source to be discogs. The worst ebay.

2 Likes