What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2022?

Exactly where I’m at. Streaming via Sonos (and Qb in the Kitchen) to discover new music and passing the iPad around when friends are over and vinyl for more “serious” listening (though I often put on a record for background listening too). Guess it has to do with growing up with vinyl and thus somehow better connecting with music that way. From a SQ perspective I’m sure I’d be very happy with e.g. a Naim streamer - it’s just not the same as putting on (and owning) records.

Sorry for the thread diversion - to stay on topic, this was my last purchase :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Which loops back to the oft-used question - if you have a streamer why do you need a CD player….

Buying from the manufacturer is the only option I think. That’s what most/everyone has done IIUC. Shipping and fees weren’t silly from what I recall… £388 in total, just checked my cc bill. That included an entirely unnecessary spare tank, and a spares pack that ought to last years.

1 Like

Thanks for the info.

1 Like

Because CD sounds better than streamer

That will wind you up :crazy_face:

1 Like

You haven’t a streamer so how do you know. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I know

It’s a calculated guess- I have heard a few reasonably priced streamers

I miss my CD555

1 Like

Apples for apples, the CD555 was by all accounts a mighty fine player you’d need to compare that to something like the ND555. Also streaming from a service might be different to streaming your own cd rips.

Correct :+1:

This may not be thread to discuss CD versus streaming sound quality, but that may be an interesting topic.

Does anyone apart from @Bevo have a strong & well-supported view?

I have CDs that (through a CDS2) I clearly find preferable to any Tidal or Qobuz stream I can find for my NDX2/XPS2, but the ripped CD is (as far as I can tell) identical-sounding to the CDS2 version. On other music, even apparently the same CD sounds better streamed, and for a much larger proportion a good CD, the same CD ripped and a stream of the same on HR Qobuz sound to my ear identical. Does anyone understand how that can be?

Can it really just be self-delusion or is something more interesting & repeatable involved?

1 Like

I’ve tried to compare a cd v a rip (the same cd) and struggled to hear any difference. AIthough I think I prefer my own rips v Qobuz, but tbh I try and avoid analysing these thing that much as it usually leads you down a rabbit hole of either discontent or poverty.

5 Likes

Must be a thread on this somewhere probably been done to death :grinning:

Mainly poverty I would think Pete

Never ending saga

I was just winding HH up a bit he asked the question

Good luck with that.

1 Like

Ha ha I get that

Hi Slamdam, I see you are using a Lumin, me too now (P1) :grinning:
I saw Peter announce the Roon beta mode a while back on Audioshark, have you tried it yet, and is it better this way?
Currently listening to my P1 through Roon, sounds great to me already, just curious what shutting off all other features improves from someone who has tried it.
What made me hesitate was the fact that you have to do a factory reset to restore use as normal.

If it sounded better it may be best to stick with a CD player and not get a streamer in the first place. It just seems odd to still want to play CDs when you have a good streamer.

Of course, many seem to like to collect boxes, as this very thread demonstrates.

1 Like

Well I guess sometimes HH people like the physical aspect of sticking on a CD vs just scrolling through the iPad

I kind of get it. I have a mate who has both and he enjoys using them both depending on moods etc etc

3 Likes

I’m sure you are right.