What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2022?

Don’t underestimate the mighty 272, I think it’s been Naims best value and best loved product of the 21st century. Sit back and enjoy.

6 Likes

Audio Technica VM95E. I’ve bought one of these as an upgrade for my Rega Planar 1 perhaps it won’t offer a great improvement over the Rega badged budget AT MM already on there but later on it will allow for further upgrades through the VM95 range.

]]

6 Likes

What do you mean?9

Could you explain what you mean about It taking couple days to hear a change? The owner was, you say, used - did I take two days to get properly warm? How did it sound before the two days?

Bob, when i had a P1 a few years back I did exactly that. Took off the Rega Carbon and popped on the 95.
A good worthy upgrade. I then upgraded to the next stylus, again, a noted improvement.
A great cart in my view.

1 Like

Nice teaser shot of a Nakamichi 680 in the background…

We have loved every minute of the 272, especially after plugging in XPSDR. With the 250DR it is indeed a fantastic combination, very musical and enjoyable. Considering what we paid for the 272 (in a post discontinuation sell off from a major chain) it’s been a fantastic servant and we might recover most of what we paid should we sell it on looking at the auction and dealer sites.

Half of me wants to keep it, adding a 200, to replace the SuperUniti in my home office. However, since legacy streamers can’t do Tidal connect I’d still end up with the same cludge of using a Raspberry PI to get Tidal Connect. Eminently doable and combined with Ubuntu UpPlay GUI to drive NAS playback I’d never need to go near any apps once Internet Radio presets are stored. Old skool appeal of a remote handset only required.

But realistically the home office needs a single box with Tidal Connect so I can see a change happening. Not sure an Atom will be good enough given I’ve had a SU for couple years, and when SWMBO is at the office and my Teams calendar is free the volume does get cranked. Perhaps a Nova at some future point, but the office system is far lower priority for spend than finishing the main household system.

2 Likes

I ran the same setup, 272/XPS/250 as well. Great combo.

I also have an Atom as a second system and love it, one box and it does everything. Good luck.

2 Likes

:smile: I need to fire the 680 up soon as I haven’t used it for a little while.

1 Like

The sound was improved from the start, more detail, better pace rhythm and timing and after about 2 days it coalesced even further. The sound with hi-res material and even CD quality material was really quite seamless and drawing one into the music. Made one want to go through one’s entire catalogue of music and rediscover it.
Suspect that the 2 day period was how long it took for the system to re-stabilise and reach optimum operating temperature after being turned off for the rejigging of the system.
Next move is to replace the Quadraspire with Naim Fraim but just have to find the time to do it. Probably in the next couple of weeks.

My NDX2 has been absolutely brilliant but it’s time to pack it up ready for a move up to the next level…

9 Likes

Out of curiosity: Next level? Which one?

Thats a very different story to the first thing you said.
If it took 2 days for you to hear a difference like you said first time round, then i would have to say that probably no difference is the answer for you really, plus after 2 days you can’t remember the small differences it even brings, your brain is well into fooling you by that stage.
I am a great believer off, if you plug in and can’t straight away hear it, then thats because it hasn’t changed, after that you start to make up and convince yourself its better, as after all it should be as i have just spent thousands on this.
Anway thats just my view, but it has saved me 10’s of thousands over the years

5 Likes

Not fully decided yet, but those spare SFP modules I’ve got may come in handy…

1 Like

They are all parts of the fun…

1 Like

I ended up selling the Melco and kept the Innuos. Did not have a chance to fully A/B but both are excellent servers/streamers. They both sounded great. The Innuos won out due to the fact that the application is more convenient.

4 Likes

D20r…:partying_face::partying_face::partying_face:.

20 Likes

Just like Tony Montana, I made another move ! My ProAc Tablette Signature have found a new home and have re-purchased a pair of Kudos Super 10 with a set of Track Audio stands. In fact, I actually bought back my old pair of speakers and stands, which I sold off a few years ago. What are the chances ? I’ve always considered the Super 10 to be an exceptional speaker. With the Track Audio stands, they just sing. Can’t wait to get these hooked up to the Norma amp.

1 Like

So excited these have arrived! Only just set up so they still need to burn in but they already sound amazing.

21 Likes

Congrats for your big toys! They look nice!
Feel free to share a full system pic and some comments on the sound before and after! :+1:

1 Like