What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2022?

Looking forward to trying this!

14 Likes

No. There was a change but like most things electrical a period of time is required for thermal and electrical equilibrium of the internal components to be reached before optimal operation is reached. Can be as little as a few minutes to a few hours. The real test is can you live with the change and then is the perceived change/gain worth the cost.
I have the luxury of being able to complete extended listening of components in my system prior to any purchase as i have a good relationship with my local Naim dealer. This has been extremely advantageous as, in this example, was able to add the 2nd 555PS, live with it for sometime, then revert back to a single 555PS (quicker than adding the PS to the system) to also judge if it made a difference. Result, a definite, favourable vote in direction of adding the 2nd PS.
Tests with other components (ie NDX/XPS/nDAC/XPS vs NDS/555PS; both in the system at the same time) have been less conclusive. Sometimes reducing the box count or overall cost (either new or used) takes priority when sonic differences are not obvious. This too has saved me 10’s of thousands over the years, especially when buying good used vs new.

That is really lovely kit you have there! Enjoy! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

It was just, that you said one thing and then did a complete u turn once someone challenged what you said first time.
One of the statements is true and i guess its the first one
Thats all

My guess is Linn or Lumin… any hints?:wink:

I’ve got the same combo for a month now. The ND5 is pre-loved, SN3 brand new and still sounded great already out of the box, but it has become even better. Love it! Although I think it got quite a bit of unbalance at the low volume end (as is apparently ‘normal’ due to the ALPS poti as I’ve found out searching this forum). Given the position of you balance knob, are you @dmu experiencing the same?

2 Likes

ND555 up and running… Noticeable improvement overall and everything just sounds a little bit better…
Even the misses said it sounded good which is a first!

Only gripe is…. it’s shiny, whereas all my other boxes are matt finish… 1st world problems I guess :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6 Likes

Really glad you are enjoying yours too. Due to the constraints of my room my speakers aren’t equal distant from my listening position so I didn’t check if the balance was right at 12 o’clock. I always knew I’d need to set it further towards the right currently it’s somewhere between 3-4 o’clock I don’t know if that’s worse than the purely digital balance of my previous uniti atom which I had set at right 3. I may check it at some point out of curiosity.

1 Like

Sold the CD5XS last week and replaced with this CDX2-2. I’m a bit disappointend being not to my usual cosmetic standard (just ordered a new aluminum case) Moreover the cd tray has this strange white fluff contamination and there no way getting rid of it

5 Likes

Congrats on the D20R’s. The ribbon tweeter will continue to improve for up to a year with regular listening. You’ll know when it’s fully broken-in. I can’t imagine not having a ribbon tweeter.

1 Like

Would guess lint from a cleaning cloth due to a rough surface? If so, a light blast of compressed air might due the trick.

dab it with blue tack or a low tack tape?

Indeed the surface is rougher than normal, much more than any other Naim cdp i own/owned.
I tried with a sponge swab and some Swissvax cleaner, WD40 as well without success.

This should be interesting.

:scream:

Be interesting to get your thoughts on the setup process. Enjoy!

1 Like

Probably the best solution

Possibly not anymore after sticky WD40.

My new speaker cables, matching jumpers and balanced interconnects. This is End Game stuff, at least for me!

6 Likes

I was sure you will be tempted to buy them. They replace the Audience AU 24X , from what I read on a review. I bought these last cables a year ago, for 6k. For me it’s an end game. But congrats!