What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2022?

They’re working well together ?

Best wishes

Ian

That’s a lot of bottles of wine :wine_glass:

1 Like

It’d want to be $3,500 that’s a 1/4 of the price of the NDX2. Not sure how you justify that.

Yep that’s nuts Pete

It’s all nuts. Actually, I checked, it was only $3,200, so $300 left over for wine. Unfortunately, the Superlumina is quite a nice full loom across the two interconnects and the speaker wires. But, Witch Hat is a great option too……

I suppose the engineer in me likes to get the best out of the electronics with these type of refinements.

1 Like

Yes. Both sets of Naim+ATCs that I have work great together. And as the signature is recognizable, it is easy to switch between the systems (before I had LS50s with Atom and the sound was completely different)

1 Like

Think you might be surprised how much the price has increased, I’m pretty sure it’s now more than $5k.

1 Like

I had a demo of a ND5 XS2 at a Naim dealer. Compared to my Hugo it wasn’t quite there in absolute terms. Towards the end of the demo the dealer switched in a SL DIN cable in place of the standard Naim offering, but didn’t tell me exactly what they were doing. The difference was pretty remarkable, and immediately obvious. I won’t try and describe it, but as a result I personally wouldn’t be entirely dismissive of that c. GBP 4K combination.

The dealer described it as allowing the ND5 XS2 to be the best it could be. But did also acknowledge the combination would be unusual. They also said different interconnects could get most of the way to where the SL was at lower price levels.

I think I recall a member on here actually owning the combination too. If I had 4k to spend on a streamer I’d be happy to consider that combination.

1 Like

I certainly don’t doubt how good the SL leads are, just think they’ve become way too expensive here.

3 Likes

Yes in that vicinity I believe

I’ll be interested in the Witch Hat stuff if it shows upgrade at a sensible price

Their gear gets great reviews . Not expecting it to be right up there re SL but one never knows

Yes but if you don’t audition the SL stuff you’ll only notice the improvement. Why would you benchmark it on something you’re not going to purchase.

1 Like

If the witch hat gear gives me an improvement over the stock standard naim gear at a sensible price then I’d be happy

No intention going the SL way I don’t care how well it sounds

2 Likes

I’m generally inclined to agree, but it does make you think whether what appears to be an overpriced cable might give you a better SQ upgrade than another black box which needs servicing, and requires electricity to run. I’ve seen lots of comparisons on like products, but never anything like “Cable Upgrade” verses “Box Upgrade”

1 Like

I see a thread coming to a forum near you. :grin:

Trouble is people will always have opinions based on their experience and it may not suit you. Also to me it’s about knowing when and were to stop, there’s always something better.

3 Likes

Don’t understand that - :smile:

3 Likes

Be careful you’ll go blind. :rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

That’s the kicker. In my experience, good cabling will get more out of the electronics. The counter being, that is you only use the stock cables, you’ll never unlock the full potential of the electronics. So, in that context, it’s better than a box upgrade. The trick is to invest in cables that are futures proof for any box upgrades you might be planning.

Our favourite dealer mentioned sometime back that some customers just didn’t like the SL interconnects and speaker cables at all

They considered it all a bit toppy and so reverted back to normal naim ones

Interesting how we all hear sounds differently

2 Likes

That’s my point. I’m running a set of 25 year old Naim speaker cables at present and I’m not noticing any major difference.

1 Like

You need to let them run it a bit longer

4 Likes