What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2023?

Thanks. Likewise, saw it for sale locally, bought it without much hesitation.

Thanks HH! Wilco.

Not a brand I know.

Hana SL - Used but with plenty of life left in it, decided it was worth a punt for £160 delivered on PFM. My first foray into Hana cartridges.

10 Likes

Looking forward to your observations on this as Hana do look great value for money

Ar10 built buy a very nice man called Alan
Quarter cut oak with black wash to bring the wood grain out
Alchris audio

2 Likes

Yes bamboo is known as a good absoption material. Some rack manufacturers use it (for example, Quadraspire). As a simple solution is known Ikea Aptitlig butchers block made of bamboo wood. It also has the measure for Hifi components and is inexpensive (from Ikea high-end department :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:). It’s worth a try. An approach that goes towards reflection, isolation and limiting of vibration transmission (not absorption) are glass plates (tempered glass) with silicon nitride ball bearings and brass lower plates. @Xanthe has described the approach theoretically and practically (Click here). I (and other forum members) use this approach with very good experiences with Naim components. This is also a very inexpensive solution compared to isolation feets from HIFI stores. But I have not tested this with the Audiolab 6000CDT yet. It is so far in the Fraim lite rack directly on the MDF floor.

4 Likes

Rega P10 with Apheta 3 and Aria Mk3.

5 Likes

AV Options Signal XLR interconnects. I have about two hours on them so far and the second hour is considerably better than the first.

4 Likes

I’ve always been tempted to take the nice n-sats. briefly listened to in a large hall for a demo of the cd5i…(year 2005). I have the floor standing version currently and am happy with them but would like to hear them again in my room. I would have liked their 13cm midwoofer on my Arivas.

Let us know how they work out. I have their Signal RCA -DIN which I love. I almost bought the DIN to XLR for the 252 to NC250 but ended up ordering the 332 instead.

I’ve had the Arivas. I loved their timbre accuracy and always found them the most neutral among Naim speakers.
In my room they were a little too full and dark, but I can imagine they are excellent in a more suitable placement.
Not many around, enjoy yours!

2 Likes

I bought one of these, to experiment with. I run my phono stage through it into the dac in my luxman d=10x. My thinking was, that if it sounds good, i might look at replacing the luxman with a dac/pre running into the scm40a’s. So far so good, i’ve not noticed any degradation in sound quality.

2 Likes

No harm in trying i suppose but strange to introduce two conversion processes, with one cancelling the other out.

Pre-owned Chord Sarum ethernet cable, replacing a BJC Cat 6A from EE8 switch to NDS.

Larger improvement than I expected from a ‘mere’ cable; more sparkle, more coherence. In short, a top-end digital cable has made my system sound more analogue. Decent VFM at used prices.

Now trying hard not to look at used Sarum interconnect prices. Ok, not that hard. As a wise man once said, “Gaah, it never ends.”

10 Likes

That sums up this hobby very succinctly.

5 Likes

The first hour was a bit unflattering but thing seemed to come together more after that. I didn’t use the supplied Naim XLR cables for very long so I can’t really use them as a reference. Anti Cables Level 4 XLRs sounded much better so that’s what I’m comparing the AV Options cables to.

I left the system playing overnight so it may sound changed today, but yesterday (hour 2 onward) the AV Options cables seemed to open up the vocal region (male especially) and give electric guitars a bit more bite. These are positive changes to my system so I’m looking forward to listening again later when I finish work.

Not really; more a necessity, as my plan would be to get something like a dcs bartok. Going backwards, as i used to have one but they only has digital inputs.

1 Like

I’ve had the Sarum T DIN DIN. It’s a dramatic change compared to cheaper cables. Whether you like it or not is as always the question :slight_smile:

1 Like

Congratulations on the upgrade, another fantastic Clearaudio turntable :ok_hand:

1 Like

VFM as in?