What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2023?

They currently have a seasonal 15% discount on their direct website…:wink::grinning::mx_claus:t3:

1 Like

It’s a bit less in Japan but my dealer still did me a deal. I think I paid about $700 less for the second KC62.

And I got the AVR X6700H for the same price as the X4800 so I basically got the amp and sub for less than I budgetted for just the amp. Merry Xmas to me.

Very sorry to read of this. I recommend asking your dealer to contact Chord straight away.

When I had an issue with my Chord amp, their diagnostic skills and customer service were every bit an excellent as Naim’s.

Best regards, BF

I will BF, when they open up after the Xmas break.

I will try one last test, a different set of RCA cables between my DAVE and the Pre 3 , just to rule out that as the culprit. I’ve tried everything else and it all points to the Pre 3.

Of course, I forgot you’re in that part of the world! How is it?

Sounds very similar to the problem @frenchrooster has had with his system.

1 Like

I have a pair of Chord Ultima 3 monoblocs and a Ultima 2 PreAmp. I use these with a dCS Rossini and Clock together Martin Logan active speakers (ESL 15A’s). My latest purchase was a Martin Logan centre Speaker (C18) for the home cinema part of the system.

Question: Why Chord and not Naim?
Answer: I’m frightened of potential hum (having previously suffered with other makes of power amplifiers using torioidal transformers).

I do live in Salisbury and must confess I feel guilty walking down the Southampton Road.

2 Likes

I am curious if you will be able to resolve it. I have the same problem with my Ear 912 pre and the NC 250 . I tried all the options, swapping cables, different cables, changed tubes, another powerblock, different power cable, and a grounding cable.

So i finally ordered a new power amp, to match my pre. The dealer accepted it and will take back my NC 250. I have thought about the Ear amp already, since some years now. This time is the right moment.

11 Likes

Nice to see the Linn LP12 being upgraded.

Indeed. Rounded covers are much more expensive to produce.

Why not the other way around, swap the Ear pre for 332? :slight_smile:

1 Like

quite snowy and Xmassy. Wondered around the German Xmas market near my dealer in Sapporo. Bit too many tourists though.

Nice to hear your thoughts on your new NDX 555. I just bought the NDX 2 and am happy to say that I am pleased with the sound. No budget for a NDX 555.

I would love to own one also but they are very expensive here in Holland. Buying anything in the UK costs a lot due to the import taxes.

Because it’s much more expensive and I have no that cash. And I would need an external phono on the level on the one inside the 912, so an ear 88pb. Total cost: 8k + 3k= 11k.
I paid 5,6 k euros my NC 250.

2 Likes

Whenever I see the name Tim de Paravicini I always imagine it being said in a very broad/strong Northern English accent by someone who probably has a flat cap, whippet and a racing pigeon (Peter Cook and Dudley Moore-esque) instead of someone with a fancy Italian accent.

It amuses me no end.

2 Likes

You’ll be thinking of the Scarborough de Paravicinis then.

2 Likes

Well, I am very pleased that Father Christmas made an early visit to me on Friday 22nd December together with his little helpers Simon and Danny from Acoustica to install my new Dynaudio Confidence 30 speakers, which have replaced my previous Contour 30’s. (As usual, Pete worked out a really good deal for me).
I now feel that my full 500 series system is complete and to say that I am absolutely delighted is a gross understatement.

36 Likes

its native Italy and in England, where one branch of the family settled centuries ago. One of his ancestors was Agostino Pallavicini, ambassador from Genoa to Pope Gregory XV, and later the doge of Genoa. A portrait of Pallavicini by Anthony Van Dyck is in the collection of the Getty Museum, where it is on permanent display. Tim was in fact a baron, a title that has been in his family for many generations.

Tim was brought to England for his education, which culminated in his receiving a degree in electrical engineering. After finishing his degree, Tim moved to Johannesburg, South Africa, where he worked as a consultant to hi-fl stores, ran a factory building transformers and amplifiers, built PA systems for rock groups, and did work for recording studios. Among the people he worked for in Johannesburg were the import agents for Luxman, a fact that led, in 1972, to his being hired by the chief executives at Luxman specifically to bring that company to the attention of the world outside of Japan. He was the first and only Westerner doing audio design work in Japan at that time.

From Absolute Sound.

4 Likes

My final addition to the setup was a Cisco Meraki MS220-8P switch. Done for this year and happy with the setup as it is:

Apple Mac Mini M1 • Roon • Tidal • Philips BDP-9700 • Naim Atom HE • LSA Warp One • Dynaudio Confidence C2 II • IsoAcoustics Gaia II • AudioQuest Niagara / Monsoon / Pegasus XLR / William Tell ZERO • Focal Elegia / Elear • Cisco Meraki MS220-8P • Blue Jeans Cat 6a

I wish you all a beautiful Christmas and a fantastic 2024!

28 Likes