What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2023?

G

2 Likes

Just bought a 552 DR !

About time that I did this. Excited !

20 Likes

Just picked up yesterday…

8 Likes

Nice pair of Boxes! What are you going to put in Them?

6 Likes

Not sure. Now that I emptied them I will probably either lose them or put them in the garage.

14 Likes

A change of lounge furniture meant that I was forced into buying a new turntable to replace my original Technics, so every cloud. I was so concerned with the space fitting for the Nova, which fits with under 1cm to spare, that I omitted to measure the depth of the unit for the turntable and given that it is quite shllow, the only decks which would fit were the Rega 8, 10 or this Michell Tecnodec. Cost came into play and so I got the Michell and I have to say that I am very pleased with it, so all ended well and saved me cutting a slot out of the back of the unit. Starting to appreciate vinyl rather more now.

Also, the speakers are now better placed than my previous off-axis positioning.

20 Likes

The Michell Tecnodec is an oft forgotten turntable but is still a great deck in my opinion and seems to fit your space perfectly
:+1:

2 Likes

Thanks.

As my choices were very limited I didn’t go for any listening tests, but I felt that I was on safe ground with a Michell and I am not disappointed. I do still hanker after a Gyro, maybe one day.
We are pleased with the unit, which hides the various black boxes.

2 Likes

I’m lucky enough to have the space for a Gyro SE - and that is my oldest piece of equipment and I don’t think I’ll ever change it - not only does it look stunning it sounds brilliant too!

2 Likes

nice!- does the nova get warm like that?

That was a concern and so I contacted Naim, who told me that the main issue would be a build up of heat over time rather than on a periodic basis when in use and that ensuring proper ventilation is crucial for the optimal performance and longevity of the unit. Therefore, whilst probably not ideal, I do check it and it seems to be fine, just warm to the touch rather than hot. The unit does have a cable hole at the back and I have pulled it forward as far as I can, plus there is reasonable space each side. So all in all, it seems to be ok.

1 Like

Perhaps a good time to add your full system to your profile now!

2 Likes

Will do, at a convenient time ! (Update - added). At the moment I am about to box up the 252 and SC DR. All being well I should be connecting up a lovely 2018 552 DR tomorrow night !

Near panic moment just now when my Radikal lit up but failed to power the LP12 when switched. I was fearing a lightning strike/burnout. Fortunately it looks like just a temporary switch quirk and all is AOK. Not the sort of thing you want to happen when changing to 552. :astonished:

2 Likes

Better than second hand price for a brand new unit, thanks A2A.

15 Likes

New speakers. Very pleased.

52 Likes

Lovely picture Chris. For a moment there I saw a window, but it turned out to be a gorgeous Maple Allae instead!

17 Likes

18m of Mogami 2549 and Mogami RCA plugs for making up a couple subwoofer cables.

The sparky laid in some very narrow 18mm conduit and it was impossible to get a pre-made cable with RCA plugs through it with the silly bends they also added. So terminating a cable in-place is my only option.

Mrs. FZ was away on business this week so I managed to get all the other ATMOS 7.2.4 wiring completed and half the speakers hung.

4 Likes

I’m glad you decided for the maple, they are beautiful.
And as usual, a very fine pic.
M

2 Likes

Of my seven pairs of Sats, the Maples were perhaps my preferred ones. They came from Denmark.

2 Likes

That’s a fabulous photo… :+1:
Really clever.

1 Like