What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2023?

I bought a new Technics 1210 MK2 when I was thirteen so around 1984/85 it cost £300.00 :rofl:

Chord mojo MK1 for my senn 660s ( the hifi man Sundura went back)

2 Likes

Superline E, came in today about a year after placing the order, but no complaint. Breaking in, so far rather harsh sounding.

13 Likes

Did you get the E because you are using a higher output cartridge? What do you have?

I have the regular Superline, but my cartridge is low output (0.25mV) and needs the 64 db gain.

1 Like

:joy: In 2008 a new 1210 mk5 was 500 euro in the Netherlands.

@JosquinDesPrez
I have been using a regular SL for many years now together with DV xv1s and xv1t. I am afraid I am not too knowledgeable about loads etc. just from the experience of a friend also here on the forum @jodl who has switched from regular SL to an E with an Atlas λ the same like yours the outcome was quite beneficial. So I am more or less following his path and now just wait and listen … but maybe @jodl wants to comment too.

Hello @Charlie!
@JosquinDesPrez has an Atlas lambda SL which is a lower output version of the regular Atlas lambda - so the standard Superline is the one for him…
With your Output Voltage of 0.35mV from your DV xv1t it will be interesting to see/hear which Superline version suits you better.
Wish you a nice burn-in time with your new Superline!

2 Likes

That’s interesting because the XV-1s (which I just took off) has an output of 0.3 mV and more well suited to the regular Superline. OTOH for a regular Lyra Atlas (non-SL) with 0.58mV output then the E is probably the right choice.

I have the SL version of the Atlas. It differs from yours by having a single winding and lower output.

And … a new chord 4 pin 4 pin connection between pre and sc for Snaxo. So far still in the box.

4 Likes

I would be interested in hearing the conclusion…

no metal casing, that can’t be good for letting noise out!

Consider putting the LP12 on a wall shelf.

Certainly could have a massive dance party then.

DG…

1 Like

I really do not have the technical knowledge to comment on this other than to note that all of the Tom Evans phono stages have acrylic casings. The power supplies however, have aluminium enclosures. Perhaps someone on here could comment on the rationale for this approach - I have no doubt if you called Tom he would be able to offer a comprehensive explanation.

Peter

Too early still to come up with a good judgment, but so far the E SL sounds very promising. very nice quite finely nuanced, and very relaxed presentation.

1 Like

I needed a new 5 pin basic SNAIC so an excellent excuse to drop into town and see the guys at Acoustica for a chat and pick up the cable

As always, a pleasure to deal with, and a very simple purchase to make as you can see ;o)

8 Likes

Agree. Best £4£ upgrade I made​:+1::notes:

1 Like

I bought an Anker PowerStation 555 with 1kW some weeks ago. Originally intended for emergency cases, I tried it out with some household appliances and, just for the fun of it, also with my HiFi. The latter not only worked but worked really well. Bass, scale and colours became much better. So it will stay in my HiFi setup permanently. Essentially the HiFi is now running from battery.

Some remarks: a) switching on is a bit tricky, because the amps draw a lot of power, b) the power station has to have a pure sine wave inverter, apparently not all power stations have one?, c) I had to put all connected HiFi components on the outlet of the power station, otherwise it would hum due to different ground potentials I think.

Installed a pre loved Hi-Line between nDac/555 and 552DR yesterday and very pleased with the upgrade vs. the stock lavender cable:
More body, more details and easier on the ear with recordings that appeared a tad bright and harsh before. Really astonishing.

I did not expect the cable to need any break in time as it was bought used, yet it needed a bit to settle in:
Out of the box the sound was horrible (harsh, no fluidity), now after 24 hours the sound is just wonderful.

Had a similar effect (but not as strong) with the speaker cables I installed few weeks ago.

8 Likes

Interim feedback…imho

250-3 due next week, so have been using the Linn Twin and trying out the different XLR cables…

Mark Grant - circa £50 - sounds fine

then Chord Epic - circa £600 - sounds a little different, however after listening and then swopping back to MG, not really a significant improvement.

then Chord Signature - circa £1500 - sounds a little different again, however after listening and then swopping back to MG, not really a significant improvement…and costs 30 times more than the Mark Grant cables…how can that be ?

Mark Grant for me, and no disrespect to the Folks who have Chord XLR’s.

Looking forward to trying the 250-3…more to follow.

3 Likes

I also tried a few balanced interconnects for our Chord power amp.
Basic Mogami with Neutrik XLRs was surprisingly good, very well balanced and an 8 out of 10.

Witch Hat Morgana balanced was a severe fail, surprisingly.
Atlas Mavros at £2k was slightly better than the Mogami.
Siltech was deliciously smooth but lost all sense of timing and rhythm.
Townshend Fractal F1 was seemlessly smooth but a bit lean or thin sounding.
Atlas Asimi was superb but at £4k per cable was not exactly value for money.

Then we tried Transparent Super. Effortlessly natural and musical sounding. We now have several of these. Worth a try if you ever feel the itch.

Best regards, BF

2 Likes