What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2023?

I have never listened to any DCS equipment but this seems to be what a number of Hi-Fi journalist use. How does it compare to your vinyl playback?

As I love cooking I spend a lot of time in the kitchen. Kicked out the JBL bluetooth speaker and purchased a proper system with a Naim Uniti Atom and B&W 705 signature. Cables are one of the air series from Inakustik. Excellent combo.

39 Likes

Comes with manual rewind key.

It’s still charging but it’s a nice chunk of metal!

13 Likes

Still the same at our house
But wish Dan well, don’t get to down if you have to go for chemotherapy it’s not good but does what it needs to do and you will get through it in the end
Went through mine in 2000 ish and I’m still hear so must have worked .

16 Likes

It’s fantastic, easily the best digital solution i have heard, and i have tried quite a few.
Vinyl does still sound different, but i no longer feel my turntable is the go-to for the best sound.
It just does what it does very well, and with no fuss. Plus it sounds fabulous

5 Likes

Two Hiquphon OW-1-92 tweeters to replace the failed units in my venerable Kans.

3 Likes

Same impression here - big upgrade! Prefix supercap! Meaty sound - good description

Wow… if they ever appear in good condition… again

Just purchased a new Auralic Aeries G2.2 it’s on its way!

18 Likes

Have you had a chance to try it out yet?

Yep, for a short while in playback, it’s pretty much quite decent!

It’s nothing like as good as the memories of my strongest personals of the past but it seems to handle things pretty well. Unfortunately my only reference now is a 30 year old Aiwa.

There are no niceties such as nr or tape type switching but it seems pretty clear and very neutral. The latter is apparent given I’ve tried five different pairs of headphones on it and everyone of them sounds very different.

It sounded really rather good through in ear RHA’s and open backed AKG’s. OK with my Finals. Terrible through my in ear Denons (which I have used for bass heavy players in the past), bang average through noise cancelling Sonys.

It does play pre-recorded cassettes very well, better than some of my own recordings, which suggests it doesn’t like the set up of one or some of my recorders from the past. Again suggesting it’s quite neutral or has been voiced accordingly perhaps.

Build quality seems pretty good but it’s not little and weighs a fair bit in it’s metal jacket. Shame the buttons are a bit plasticky and when I insert a TDK I sometimes have to jiggle a bit onto the take ups. Not pre-records though.

Overall, quite pleased. I suspect a well sorted and serviced top line player of the past will smash it though.

Oh. And just one more thing…It is bluetooth enabled so you have the choice of being wired for sound or not. Which is nice.

3 Likes

I’d never heard of them until you posted just watched a couple of YouTube videos that gave it mixed results. Definitely interested in your impressions once it’s up and running. Wasn’t able to find out from the videos wether you could connect it to a decent pre amp.

Thanks, probably a little too good for my Clearaudio but will go for the VM750SH MM , which is the model down and is now in stock with Audio T

Yes you can😉

Honestly sounds quite good. Bass light but hey, not bad.

Also tried my Sony in ear noise cancellers and they work well.

Press to play:

George on tape by jamiewednesday1, on Flickr

7 Likes

Cablewise I switched from Inakustik to Kondo/Japan in my main system. Speaker cables are Kondo silver SPs 2.7 now. Also interconnects and power cables are from Kondo (copper and silver). I recognise a remarkable difference to the Inakustik air cables I used before to connect the speakers. The silver adds warmness and a sweet glow to the sound character of my Marten Parker Duo. Not too bright at all. Although someone wrote in the forum that Beryllium tweeter and silver cables are not matching well together, I must say, I observe the contrary. These Kondos are considerably helping my system to perform high quality. My dealer told me, that Kondo will stop cable production. So these gems might be a rare find in a short while.

7 Likes

I’m sure you’ll love it when it arrives. I bought the VEGA G2.2 a little while back and I’ve been really impressed with it. Lovely build quality.

If you don’t have a remote want a very compact, well made option I can recommend the Apple TV Gen2 remote. It’s the one just before they mixed Bluetooth with infrared. Enough options to control vol, skip, rewind pause and play etc. The genuine ones can be had on the auction website for very little these days!

3 Likes

Do you use these Kondo Copper/Silver with the Gryphon?

Yes indeed. The amp seems to like Kondo cables.

1 Like

As I’m sure you will no doubt already know, Copper/Silver Litz speaker cables like the Kondo are not recommended with Naim.

I have a bit of Kondo stuff.

[quote=“Yorkshireman, post:2496, topic:27034”]
As I’m sure you will no doubt already know, Copper/Silver Litz speaker cables like the Kondo are not recommended with Naim.
[/quote]No I didn‘t know, honestly. For the time being I enjoy this combo very much. But thanks for the hint, Yorkshireman. I will do a bit of research.

1 Like