What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2023?

A used 282 for the study system - will get it serviced once I know if other purchases need servicing (already have hicap). Probably going to get an ndx, and contemplating a non dr 300 rather than original thought of 250dr

All to be used with nSats. The 300 is attractive for low level listening, and non dr available at similar cost or not much more than 250dr

Edited to add - this to replace nova, with which I was not altogether impressed compared to ndx/sn3/hicap. Thought I would try something different rather than go for sn3 again, although this is more spendy than that :grimacing: I donā€™t get any better do I?

6 Likes

Good plan, n-SATS do like a 300 up ā€˜em :grinning:

2 Likes

Donā€™t tell that to @Stephen_Tate . He will be in hurry to sell his full loom Vodkas and Meicord to finance the 300. :rofl:

4 Likes

I have also just realised that a 300 should be adequate to drive the old acoustic energy ae1 speakers that I still have (need a repair to the foam around the driver), having bought them new in 1990 (with matching stands, natch :blush:). Might be worth a try!

2 Likes

Mojo, sennheiser 660s.

15 Likes

Iā€™ve got one with a Poly, very versatile DAC.
If you hold down both volume buttons on power up it enables line level output, I use that direct in to an amp as a simple streamer setup.

1 Like

More OREA Bordeaux, great little device. Not sure how much of an improvement they give as I canā€™t compare before and after quick enough. But they do score high on the jewellery front.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll give it a go and compare to qutest on end of my ultrarendu

1 Like

It doesnā€™t compete with a matching dedicated ā€˜activeā€™ 350 watt sub-woofer from a dedicated low level line-in IMHO.:blush:

I had a pair of these with the matching stands back then too. A great loudspeaker that sounded much larger than their diminutive size would suggest.

G

1 Like

Iā€™ve never had enough power for them to do justice - so it will be interesting trying a 300 out. Unfortunately the floor in there is boards and I know from the day I got the ae1s that they like a solid floor underneath them

1 Like

Secondhand 2960 Cisco switch to daisy chain with EE8 switch leading from router to ND555.

4 Likes

Sorry Stephen, I donā€™t understand what you are trying to say.

No need for a desire to aspire to a 300. Vodka influenced or not. The newer kit doesnā€™t interest me neither. Since Naim speakers Naim has lost itā€™s way IMHO.

1 Like

What a weird thing to say when youā€™re equipment all came after Naim stopped making speakerā€™s!

1 Like

You didnā€™t like your audition of the new kit?

p.s. Just to be clear, Naim only started making speakers in the late '80s, and nobody bought enough of them to make them viable anyway. For clarity, I like Naim speakers, but Iā€™m odd that way. I certainly donā€™t think Naim have lost their way though, whether since they started making speakers, or having stopped doing so. An audition of the latest kit bears this out!

5 Likes

I bought SBLs when they first came out if my memory is correct 87/88 and loved from first listening to them and they still surprise me how good they are.

3 Likes

Amen to that Puddlesplasher!

1 Like

I mayā€™ve worded that a little wrong. I meant a ā€˜fullā€™ system from plug to cone. Anyway thatā€™s just me and it was a flippant reply to FR.

Iā€™m hoping to hear the new kit sometime in the near future, maybe at a show or at the dealer. Iā€™m also holding out for what else appears upon the horizon.

But they are truly phenomenally good :slight_smile:
I had a wow moment last night when listening to a track Iā€™ve not heard in a while - i always aspired that my system would create the punch and transparency of my A&K/Shure in ear headphone combo. Finally the system has surpassed with the addition of the podiums (prompting me to now upgrade my travel setup).
Fun this hi-fi lark :blush:

2 Likes