What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2023?

:+1: Always very interesting when old models perform better than new ones. Probably doesnā€™t just apply to speakersā€¦:sunglasses::wink:

1 Like

Been a long time since I bought any new Naim gear. Just purchased a used nDAC to mate with my Nait 5si. Source will be my Raspberry Pi4 w Pi2AES- Lite output to the nDAC.

Should receive it Thursday. Will post a system pic.

6 Likes

Nice. My 10 year old AVR X4000 gave up the ghost just last night. The caps are gone and loud rustling noises started before it went into protection mode. I could recap it but it is pre ATMOS and I have 4 ceiling speakers as yet unused installed and wired up waiting. Iā€™m hoping to pick up a new X6800 at Xmas and the second sub.

2 Likes

T+A dac200. Can be run as a pre direct into my ATCs or via the 252. Also has a discrete dsd Dac for hq player. Sounds really good either vi HQplayer or PCM.

Not tried the analog input yet

12 Likes

Although not technically new gear, I just received back my old 2006 nac 202 after having had it recapped. I use it intensively in my second system in a small office. After recap it sounds as if new, especially when playing records on my 1980ā€™s Technics SL 1700 TT connected through Stageline. The improvement is quite large and enjoyable.

2 Likes

I love the meters - they remind me of my JVC KD-2 cassette deck. Are they real of faux?

10 Likes

They are real and can display all manner of things:

Input level
Output level
temperature
Stream quality

3 Likes

I hope the X6800 works our for you - I considered the X4800 but from what I could make out, the difference from the X3800 is the amplifier which I only plan to use for height so there seemed little benefit in spending more.

Denon have been offering an additional 30% off their refurbished prices which make some models better value than my usual go to store for refurbished Denon / Marantz gear. I toyed with the idea of replacing my X4000 as well, but itā€™s working great so I exercised restraint!

Used isoacoustic Orea indigo to try under my novaā€¦ sounded and looked a bit rubbish directly under the chassis, but transformative under fraim glass . Iā€™ll run it for a few weeks then take them out after Xmas and see what I reckon.

5 Likes

Of course, directly under the chassis and bypassing the feet is how they are meant to be used, and thatā€™s what I did, and they both looked crap and changed the sound in a way I didnā€™t like. So now you have Isoblue - a brilliant stand in its own right, plus Fraim glass and now the pucks. Stack ā€˜em high!

You know Iā€™m joking of course. Why canā€™t we leave tweaking alone? Iā€™m not cured either, as I have some Quadraspire Q plus supports on the way. It will be interesting if they make a difference, as I hold Quadraspire in high regard.

4 Likes

Nice! Interesting idea. Looking forward to read your post in the new year.

I use the Qplus under my UQ2 in the office. They make a difference but as youā€™ve said before, additional feet can look naff. So I donā€™t use them on a different far better system that also lacks a rack because I can see that system and they are a bit distracting.

Oppsā€¦ went to a local electronics repair shop, and they had this in the windowā€¦

26 Likes

You are a very naughty boyšŸ˜‚

3 Likes

The story is over in the cafe :roll_eyes:

1 Like

You can get away with it. One thing about the LP12 is that it is iconic to audiophiles and we know itā€™s value, but the design itself, to the uninitiated doesnā€™t scream ā€œexpensiveā€. You could totally tell a non audiophile that an LP12 was about $99.95 new and itā€™s completely believable.

If Iā€™d brought an LP12 home instead of the much much much cheaper deck I did, I doubt Mrs. FZ would have asked any questions at all.

6 Likes

Hungry Halibut said much the same, Iā€™ve put some Orea under my CD5si and it certainly "Lifts and separates " , but of course my CD5si has moving parts , so I wonder if that it is the difference maker ?

1 Like

quite likely, but using them under the glass has made a difference to the nova too, more bass and it just sounds bigger with more space, but time will tell if the top end is a bit pushy and i wont really know until i have better speakers in the house (in between at the moment and using an old pair of 1990ā€™s missions!)

2 Likes

My Quadraspire Q Plus Evo feet arrived earlier. They donā€™t look as silly as the IsoAcoustics and it will be interesting to hear what they do for the sound, if anything. As I bought them used for Ā£60 I can always sell them if they donā€™t make any improvement.

8 Likes

How do they work? They donā€™t say anything about it more than itā€™s a piece of bamboo with a metal ring?