What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2023?

My Internet connection is good enough for me (about 110Mb/sec), and wifi is ok in the whole apartment. I surely don’t want to mingle with the spawn of Satan, which has already visited me this year :smile:, but unless I can lure a technician here in this crazy Season, I may go for the wireless bridge.

You may as well, since it is exactly what you need :+1:

The bridge won’t negatively affect the sound so is a good second best. Just make sure you set it as an extension of the existing network. I’ve always struggled with bridges and mesh and have reverted to one good router and cabled connections for the Naims.

That would be my first choice. There are about 12 cm. of wall thickness between the active Ethernet socket and the disconnected one…

Could you not just run a long Ethernet cable from the active one to you hdx?

Congrats :+1:
Happy listening

1 Like

Thank you,

Not really, there are openings in both directions and the room is large. I’ll have the spare one re-wired.
These days are so full of undesired things - Christmas presents to buy and an oncologic visit on next Thursday, in order of undesirability - that I’ll have to wait until Dec 26, back home, to disconnect the phone and only deal with the system! :hear_no_evil: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

I am also trying to get away from ethernet over mains for my HDX and have had a frustrating evening trying to set up an alternative, with help from my tech savvy son’s girlfriend. She has got the wi fi extender working and set as an access point which we think is the right thing to do, but when I connect the extender plug with the ethernet wire to the HDX the network doesn’t see the HDX. Not quite sure what to try next other than turn it all off and on again…

A tri band mesh router setup is the answer imo.

1 Like

Just received my Teddy Pardo dual output LPS for my Chord TT2 and Mscaler. 15v x 4amp

3 Likes

Get a new/better router. I have an Asus RT-AX88U , I get coverage everywhere in and outside.

Unfortunately it won’t help in this instance, as the HDX doesn’t have wifi. So it’s either a cable or a wifi extender that’s then wired to the HDX. I’ve recently bought a Netgear Nighthawk RAXE 300, which seems pretty powerful, and easier to set up than a mesh system.

The best way to set up a multi access point mesh is to hard wire all the access points, typically home users create a mesh that uses a Wi-Fi backhaul link between the access points and that becomes the weakest link.
If you can ceiling mount the access point and power it over Ethernet using PoE (Power over Ethernet) that’s ideal. That setup isn’t typical in homes as most people just want to plug it in and stick it on a cupboard and hope it all works nicely, which often, it doesn’t unfortunately.
If the Wi-Fi network is setup properly and with the right infrastructure it should work without issues.

1 Like

Thanks to all for the thoughts and comments here. Today I looked at this again and am feeling somewhat silly, embarrassed and stupid as I realised that my existing mesh wi fi boxes have two Ethernet sockets so I have relocated one of these to by the hi fi and connected both the HDX and the ND5 XS2 enabling me to bin the ethernet over mains. The difference is substantial, I should have looked at this properly years ago!! My next job is to do some rudimentary cable management as I know that to be another weakness in my set up.

3 Likes

That’ll do it, those Ethernet ports on Wi-Fi extenders are just bridged back to the router. If the Wi-Fi extender is connected to the router over Wi-Fi just keep it as free of obstacles and as high up in the room as you can and the distance between the extenders within a sensible range.

Extremely impressed with this early Christmas present. From the 20 or so records I have run through so far the results have far exceeded my expectations

18 Likes

Nico Deco lamp!
Never had an RCM but yours does look good :+1:t3:

1 Like

I got the same RCM back in November. Really good.

1 Like

And now I have to wait… but the final piece for 23 is nearly here…

5 Likes