What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2023?

Congratulations!

In case I should upgrade to a 500(dr) as well, I would need to stack it above the 552 too.
Did you notice any negative effects of doing so?
Other possibility would be to place 500 head unit on top of the brawns stack.
Did you try different placements?

1 Like

Ove only tried it as in the picture and can only conclude it sounds glorious :raised_hands: I had plans to move it to the bottom of the brains stack but will have it like this for now since it IMO looks great and sounds great. I would not like to place it above a stack of transformers in the brawn stack.

1 Like

Never say never… :wink:

1 Like

Recently got an n-dac from the bay. This week I noticed that a certain retailer was clearing out their x dem/display stock and they had a number of XPS DRs for a good price. My normal dealer mentioned that they are no longer available to order from Naim so I felt the time was right and got one of the ex display ones.

Never had an external so for a source before and am quite amazed at the transformation! Very pleased.

Also took advantage of the fact that the same retailer is heavily discounting all their classic gear and managed to persuade my usual dealer to make me an offer I could not refuse on a 252 and supercap, factory order, should be here in 2-4 weeks! After careful consideration this, at an amazing price, made more sense than getting the 222 and 300ps or waiting for the 300 series pre amps.

7 Likes

It’s been my experience that your 552 will sound best in free air, on top of the brains stack.

Tall or medium Fraim legs are available, and, second hand, do appear from time to time on Fleabay or the Pink Fishy thing.

One set would allow you to put the 500 head unit on the bottom, whilst two sets would allow you to keep the adjacent stacks the same height, should OCD get the better of you! :wink:

12 Likes

Like your upgrade path - notice in profile you use active speakers - does this mean a change there too?
Anyway enjoy the great value and sounding upgrades.

In fairness my endgame is New Classic NSC222, NAP250 & NPX300.
It was a decision I made this afternoon, I just have to make it happen now😊

6 Likes

Great decision - I’m biased but understand appeal.
You only live once (or twice to keep Bond references going) :+1::grin:.

Keeping the ATCs I absolutely love them in my room!

1 Like

I listened to the active 40’s driven by NSC222 for a little over an hour earlier today & I couldn’t relax into them🤷🏻‍♂️
It’s going to have to be NSC222 & NAP250 into my Dynaudio Evoke 50’s, which sounded MARVELOUS in my listening room home demo last Thursday. :blush:

6 Likes

They are quite different. The control can seem a bit like someone removed the bass at first, till you realise they just removed to boom.

I tried a very wide range of music/genres and simply didnt feel fully engaged by them.
They definitely had their moments and I absolutely loved the passive versions when I tested them. It’s the amplification I just can’t get along with.
The passives with the NAP250 would almost certainly grab me fully, but sadly not the actives🤷🏻‍♂️

1 Like

Did you try the passives and actives in the same location? I only ask because, in my room, the actives were basically like the passives on steroids. Passives driven by a 250dr

No sadly.
I did hear the Actives here last week, but it was at the end of the day and we got them out of the Van and they were very, VERY cold!
Passives on an SN3 at Criterion Audio and the Actives on a NSC222 in the dem room at Basically Sound.

You know what the experts say, never buy speakers unless you have heard them extensively in your own room :grin:

I’m happy with my Dynaudio’s Ryder, Amplification/Streamer is the only decision now😊

2 Likes

Happy is a good place to be! Have you ordered the new stuff. If so how long is the wait?

I did see you at lunchtime at BS … it won’t take long before order placed!

I thought that was you. As I was leaving and you had just arrived…

1 Like

Edit: never mind I had the wrong user in mind