What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2023?

Yes I have had all different DC cables for trial :+1: A friend of mine bought the Farad S3 for EE8 too and said something down the line that it was the best upgrade per invested money ever made.

1 Like

Trying to fine tune my setup, a temporary set of speaker cables where purchased due to needing longer lengths but now have managed to get hold of some preloved Witch Hat Phantoms and so far they seem to be working out well.

Next step is to make sure I have the ND5 XS2 setup and connected correctly to get the best out of it, at the moment it is hard wired to my Netgear GS 105 switch but I have a spare port on my Sky Q router just wondered if it was worth connecting directly to the router rather than through the switch.

3 Likes

Hi S,
I donā€™t have sky router (Virgin hub 4) but do have ND5XS2.
Passing through a switch, ee8 in my instance, adds clarity and detail so is beneficial in my use case.
Sorry I canā€™t be of more assistance.

I use the little power supply that came with the ER.
Have always been reluctant to upgrade the PS based on review of Forum comments as well as Uptone stating no need to upgrade the PS.
So what is the difference you note with upgraded PS?
David

Anyone else buying yesterdays products? :slight_smile: Must resist!

The 555PSDR is warming up. Long travel from UK to Sweden but all went fine. I chose to leave the lower shelf empty being able to let all burndyā€™s fly high. I have a new burndy so i guess it needs burn in as all cables. I did massage it but it was a stubborn one but itā€™ll do for now and I can massage it later again. If it pays me.

And out of the box, cold, the bass extension and definition is pure magic on the NDX2. The details and the relaxing natural top end etc. I recognise a lot of things from when I added one on my former 272. Itā€™s a bigger jump on 272 but well worth it on NDX2 too. Happy times :slight_smile:

32 Likes

Sorry, yes I will put some more detailed thoughts down when I get some more time, but the Sonore OM Deluxe works very well. The MC01 is back in its box.

Their supplied switching PS is better than most and they say: While high-quality power supplies make a nice difference most everywhere else in a music system, we personally are not hearing very much change with power supplies and the EtherREGEN (certainly owing to its great isolation and internal power networks). Yet others do report some benefit, so you are of course welcome to experiment within the +DC 7~12V range.

I am one of those hearing a big difference with the Super3 and many many others in forums such as roon or dcs are sharing this view. Previously I had a Keces P8 and it also made a difference, but the Super3 is matching perfectly. The main difference is lower noise level and this is beneficial to almost all aspects. The Keces now powers my roon nucleus and the router and replaces two Sbooster LPS.
It can also power a small media converter like the adot mc01 which I find quite handy. Iā€™m a bit annoyed of all the linear power supplies, but they are essential for a low noise floor. I found the P8 with Oyaide upgrade DC cables to be good enough for router and nucleus.

Hi Tapp,
Thanks for the response, so have you found the streamer sounds better through the switch compared to going directly to your Virgin router, Iā€™m trying to work out what the switch is doing to improve the soundšŸ‘

Yes and someone more scientific may be able to answer better but reduces ā€very high frequency noiseā€ that impacts music produced.

No pressure. Iā€™m looking forward to it! At the moment Iā€™m using a SFP module with a cisco 2960cg (white newer model) to eR. I would like to get rid of the cisco as there is no need for an additional switch and this is not a POE model, nor can I power it with a LPS.
As written above I have a Keces P8 for router and nucleus. Therefore Iā€™m interested in the ADOT as it requires 5V/1A - thats what the P8 USB power out provides. Iā€™m testing a 10Gtek media converter (looks almost like the ADOT) at the moment but it seems to add noise. From what I have read about the ADOT and different comparisons in other forums, even though it does look like most media converters also from the outside and inside (there are also other models with DIP switches), they must have changed things as it always contributed to the sound.

Iā€™d prefer the optical Module as I like the sonore products, but the oM requires 5 - 9V DC 1A according to the smallgreencomputer website but Iā€™m not sure if 5V/1A is enough for it.

Music sounds incrementally more natural, easier on the ear and boogelicious with a better power supply, in our case a Paul Hynes SR4T linear power supply. Itā€™s all consistent with reduced noise and better regulation.

1 Like

Iā€™m running the OM from an Uptone LPS1.2 PSU set to 5V. The LPS1.2 can provide 1.1A max. I just noticed the LPS has a 3 pin measurement port, so Iā€™ll pick up some header pins when Iā€™m in the lab tomorrow so I can measure the actual OM current draw.

1 Like

I hope no one minds if I discuss the results of going window shopping at my dealer today even if no money has changed hands (yet!). All options were listened to with a nd5xs2 and spendor A4 speakers. It was suggested I listen top option down so that I could hear what I lost going down the options rather than trying to hear what I gained each step up.

First was 282/hcdr/250dr-Wow! I could immediately hear the difference from what I was used to the bass was so tight and clear. Music in general was fuller, heard an improvement on all songs even poor recordings.

sn3/hcdr-meh to me it felt like the hicap was trying to make the sn3 more like the previously mentioned combo but wasnā€™t anywhere close. I know others have tried it and found it a big step up but for me it was a half step at best.

sn3 (wanted to hear how what I already have compared)- I would have never described the bare sn3 as reserved before hearing the 282 combo lol. Luckily I still love what it does but I definitely understand now why people argue for a 282 combo over the sn3.

Once iā€™d listened to all 3 options mentioned above I went back to the 282 combo to double check my feelings and make sure I didnā€™t prefer the more pulled back sound of the sn3 (wouldnā€™t want to get something I found fatiguing after all).

So what were the results: Well if I had the money iā€™d have walked out with an order for the 282/hcdr/250dr. Since I donā€™t, this is now my long term saving plan (hopefully the arrival of new products will only push 2nd hand prices down), which step I take first will probably come down to whatā€™s available when.

On the speaker front the A4ā€™s were impressive, I hadnā€™t heard a tower speaker before now realise I donā€™t need to worry so much about them overpowering my room or listening position. They gelled really well with the 282 combo so i think I want warmer speakers than my current focal aria 906ā€™s.

8 Likes

The forum is wonderful for pointers in this direction or thatā€¦ā€¦but it has to be your own ears.

3 Likes

Hi-Cap DR for my 200DR/202 (squeezed in between).

Used to have a Hi-Cap on my prior 200/202 set and tried to keep it simple with the new(er) set in the home office. However, recalling the improvement of adding a Hi-Cap and seeing a used one last week at a good price I just couldnā€™t resist - so back to 4 boxes again! (the NAPSC is hiding behind the cabinet door).

The Hi-Cap really is a significant improvement in overall clarity, control and, especially, in the bass area - both in terms of amount of bass and ability to better hear e.g. bass guitars and drums individually.

29 Likes

We have very similar systems @PSAN. It was my intent to add an ND5 XS 2 this year for streaming and to provide DAC services for a CD Transport (probably an Audiolab 6000CDT), but now I am going to trial an NSC222 in the coming weeks instead.
The streamer section being much the same as the ND5 and giving me future upgrade options, including the active speaker route.

1 Like

Sounds like a good plan. Iā€™m still at ā€œlow levelā€ streaming, using Sonos in the living room system for when friends are over or for checking out music Iā€™m considering to buy on vinyl. I can see how the NSC222 is an interesting product, and I think itā€™s great that Naim are moving with the times. My only gripe is with the design, not really being a fan of the volume knob (but great that theyā€™ve done away with the imbalanced potmeter) or the ā€œcut outā€ in the middle - but probably better looking IRL and something to get used to over time.

1 Like

To be fair, Naim had already moved away from Alps volume pots on the all-in-one products, including 272 and all 1st and 2nd gen Unitis. Only the Classic separates still used them. Thereā€™s no getting away from the fact that they did a very good job for sound quality, but yes, the channel imbalance and small usable range were a nuisance in many systems at lower volumes.

1 Like

You can also use the SN3 as either a power amp or preamp. As you have a HiCap already you could for example add a NAC 282, use the SN3 as a power amp then when you have a NAP 250 just swop that in to replace the SN3.
You can do it the other way round but if you can youā€™ll find it preferable to add the NAC first.
Enjoy the journey!

2 Likes

If possible ,an empty shelf under the 552 is a good thing.