What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2024?

Now all you need is the full loom😁

2 Likes

Don’t know if I am ready for all the details… no kidding :smirk:
I have some moments when I hear something in the music (especially electronic music - like a faint hiss or crrk, which is surely meant to be there) but I do think - „is this part of the music“ or …
Than I go crosschecking with 2nd system. And … its also there. now the gap has got really bigger between system 1 and 2 when it comes to detail detection.
Mad behavior :rofl:
Do I want even more of this :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I wouldn’t say any details are hidden with Reference. It’s the way they are presented which is more realistic and beautiful and easy on the ears than QED :blush: QED is made in Taiwan. Maybe Neotech factory? :sunglasses::smile:

Haha yes possibly, but designed by QED so anything can happen. :grin:

1 Like

NPX300 for my 222 connected up (after my first experience of the Burndy challenge) today, very nice uplift. First impression the improvement is more apparent when streaming over vinyl.

6 Likes

31-goiW0ETS.AC

Not very exiting, but I decided to post here to show anyone owning a Uniti Core just how easy it is to replaced the internal storage in the event of either a disk failure or the need for increased storage capacity.

My Core is 5 years old & was installed by my dealer as I was totally new to ripping/streaming etc. He used a spare 4 year old SanDisk 1TB SSD I had, which had started life as my operating drive in my PC & was bottom of the range at the time due to the huge cost of SSD’s. It was about £300 in 2015 compared to £140 for the double capacity & higher performance of the Samsung 9 years later.

I was about a hundred or so CD’s & downloads short of filling the SanDisk so decided to replace it in good time. It has taken me 34 years to nearly fill the disk so I think another TB of storage will see me out!

I did not watch my dealer fit the original drive so I was very careful in fitting the replacement, taking a very leisurely 10 minutes. It was so simple that I could easily half the time if I had to do it again.

I plugged the Core back into the system &, using the Naim app on my phone, formatted the new drive as requested & then plugged my USB back-up drive into the front socket & set the app to ‘Restore Music’ which started immediately.

Restoring my 16,000 or so tracks took just under 8 hours & I assume that I could have played tracks on my Nova whilst the restore was continuing but did not want to tempt fate & therefore listened to some vinyl & internet radio (after going out & mowing the lawns first!).

To be honest, the whole process couldn’t have been easier & I was both surprised & impressed that it went without a hitch at all.

I wish I could tell you that the modern, better SSD has improved the SQ but, of course it has made no difference at all! All I have achieved is to ‘future proof’ the system. All I may have to do sometime in the future is to replace my 1TB back-up disk with a larger capacity one but that will, of course be no trouble.

The moral of this story is that you shouldn’t be worried at all if you ever need to increase your Cores’ storage capacity…provided you have a back-up disk which you obviously will have. Won’t you?

5 Likes

They are a good drive too, I’ve just fitted a 4tb one of the same make and model in my hifi rose rs130. Astonishing really how cheap they are now for how much space you can achieve

Sounds good! Another cheap alternative nowadays is to buy an NVMe disk and put it into a USB case/housing. I use one to back-up the music sitting on the SSD in my Nucleus and the NVMe read/write speeds are ridiculously quick! This has prompted me to think I might try plugging it straight into my NDX2 to see how it sounds :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Very useful to know for me when the time comes that I require a larger back up drive.

1 Like

You can get a 2Tb NVMe for circa £120-130 on Amazon and the casing only cost me £20 or so :+1:

1 Like

That’s a good alternative, let me know your thoughts!

So seduced by the sound of a Luxman 505 UXII I bought used on a whim this year that I have now bought a 509 Z top of the range integrated amp. The sound from both is detailed, but not bright or aggressive. They also have more tone control options than you imagine like a 1970’s amp but somehow they do exactly what they say and don’t mess with the sound. You can bypass them if you want but sometimes certain recordings benefit from some shaping or the famous loudness control when you want to listen at night but not loose any of the detail. Build quality is fabulous too.

4 Likes

Funnily enough I came across a Lexar case on Amazon the other day, didn’t even know these existed! Will be trying it in the back of my Auralic once I get some choons loaded on the card.

1 Like

That’s an interesting option, do you format them just like a “normal” external drive?

Yep, once you have put it in an enclosure like the one in my picture and plug it into a PC/Mac it treats it just like any other external disc drive. A really good option.

I can highly recommend the Lexar NM790 4TB version. Pricey at £220; but pretty good value for 4Tb and it has up to 7400MB/s Read/6500MB/s Write speeds. I use one of these on my PC, but if you have a large music collection this should more than cover it! They of course offer smaller sizes :slight_smile:

Thanks. The 4TB is a bit pricey in Canada, but 2TB could fit the bill for quite a while.

I might be wrong, but I reckon writing 1TB over 8 Hours is 35MB/s.

You seem to have been sponsored a little too much in this case Blackbird…:rofl:

1 Like

I so wish that was the case :smile::grimacing:

2 Likes

hello carruthersesq

Any comment about your new speakers ?
still happy with them ?
Any Pros/Cons to share :wink: