What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2024?

Ha, that’s a bit awkward, but you have to love vinyl to go back to it these days.

exactly, Sarum T on 555 dr. :+1:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I am determined to avoid expensive cables for three reasons. The first is that while accepting that there is a difference, with high end (very expensive) cables their performance ‘changes’ are not worth the money.
The second is that their performance will be different and not necessarily better and as I am not a tweaker, I don’t care about what difference they make!
The third reason is that I do not believe that my ageing ears are really worth that effort and I really want to just listen to good music and not obsess over my HiFi.

Controversial comments obviously but I try to work within my limitations. I generally like to improve on the supplied cables (except the lavender din and XLR for 332 to 350) and like a bit of standardisation particularly with my mains. I have the Puritan PSM156 conditioner and Puritan Classic plus cables throughout which for me is far enough.

I do however enjoy reading about other people’s experiences like yours for example with the Ultimate.

7 Likes

That’s a very healthy approach :slight_smile: Used Powerlines I would say is the best bang for the buck if you own Naim gear. No money to loose on such a purchase either since they hold their price on the used market year after year.

And I do agree that it’s sometimes challenging to understand if it’s better or just different. That’s my struggle in this current test with Ultimate on other places than wall → 156.

There are some things I’ve never struggled with. NAP500, 552, NDS and Superlumina DIN DIN. Love at first notes leaving the speaker cones and they continuously amaze me.

2 Likes

Yes it is good to hear that you have some definite keepers in your system, particularly the super-lumina din.

For me I feel sorted with my 300 series and mains set up. The super lumina is too expensive for me but I am curious about the lavender din to din and if it can be bettered by XLR. Naim seem to still recommend din although the 332 and 333 have balanced XLR capability. If XLR May be the way forward then I would probably look at the chord epic simply because I have the epic rca interconnect from my Blu ray to 332 and use chord epic speaker cable. I seem to have a bias towards standardisation and perceived synergy!

@Dunc which cable and connector did you use here and what do you use today?

Your first two points are personal and valid.
The third, I will not argue, but just give my experiences. About 2009, I was 59, wearing hearing aids for mild/moderate hearing loss (dearly beloved a bit younger but also with aids), our employer decided to turn our office into a contact centre. Eight hours a day, crap headphones clamped to your ears, micro-managed, to the extent that the IT system put up a red flag if your toilet break exceeded 2 minutes 17 seconds. We stopped going to cinema, concerts, restaurants, watched TV only with subtitles, the stereo was never switched on. Fast forward to 2013, following extended time off work due to a family tragedy, we ventured to the Bristol Show where we got talking to the wonderful Nigel Finn of Chord Company. We voiced those same concerns and explained why. At that time they were demonstrating the effect of interconnects between a music source and headphone amplifier (I know, headphones = ironic), moving through four RCA cables from their range. We were not wearing aids due to the general hubbub and could both easily hear the improvements/changes. We came away with a pair of interconnects and Nigel discussed changes and options by email. One persons empathy, enthusiasm has given us ten years of musical fun.
So possibly, set a cash limit, see if you can borrow some cables within that budget, perhaps a bit more enjoyment?

3 Likes

2 new tweeters for my 20 year old ATC SCM12s. Purchased from Willy’s Hifi on the advice of Ben Lilly at ATC. A remarkable difference from first switch on, surely only to get better as they run in. Easy to fit too.

12 Likes

Just in case

4 Likes

Picked up a Rega alignment protractor for my P8.
For years I’ve been using a Dr Feickert mk1 to set up the cart. The Rega has had me move the cart further back in the headshell, has anyone else noticed that?

4 Likes

Not sure which one Rega use but if you compare say Baerwald to Stevenson the difference in how the cart ends up is pretty different. I preferred Baerwald when I had a turntable.

1 Like

Hi Bb
yes, was aligned to Baerwald prior, was surprised how much movement was needed to align to Rega.

1 Like

My first new thing in absolutely ages. I bought it new on eBay for under £120, compared to the new price of £270; a bargain too good to resist. It’s certainly very red.

9 Likes

Amazing condition!

Bought another (used) Farad 3 for my Lindemann Bridge II replacing Sbooster :slight_smile: Have one Farad 3 on my EE8 already. Great product. And so is Sbooster but my trigger happy finger slipped. I blame the :wine_glass:

8 Likes

Rega is very close to Stevenson.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your personal experiences. While I said my ears are ageing, I do not have to wear aids yet (touch wood) and really enjoy my music. Obviously, a HiFi system only gives a version of what is actually going on so there is always scope for improvement. However, there is an ever increasing financial cost in chasing this SQ Nirvana. My comments were meant to convey that I may not be able to determine/appreciate small differences so why waste my money?

This obviously applies to high end or esoteric cables. As you point out, I may try some more ‘affordable’ XLRs (£600 or thereabouts) on a sale or return basis.

1 Like

As you know I’m now running an ATC SIA2-100 pared with Cambridge cxn v2. I gave the internal akm dac a go in the Atc fed direct from nucleus and it’s richer, more involving and more musical than the cxn. I had the Cambridge on 30 day return so it’s gone… the Atc has a proper usb implementation and optical for my tv so nice and neat. So the recent bit of gear is a network bridge - SoTM 200 mini neo so the nucleus doesn’t have to be core and player.

1 Like

I hope it’s not a fake…
New for half the price :interrobang:

Just picked up my NPX-300.

11 Likes