What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2024?

NAP 350 monoblocks. Been living with them about 3 months now and absolutely love them.

43 Likes

That’s a nice looking system. I love the way the colours of the wood from your floor, Fraim and turntable all blend nicely together.

Thank you

Not a very sensible purchase I know but I have always always wanted one and it does sound rather nice. Now need to decide if I want to pair it was a Nait

15 Likes

Good aren’t they. Drive the 606s very nicely.

Yes, I’m delighted with them and they’ve closed most of the gap between passive and active for me too. So no desire to increase the box count, add a Sigao drive and multiple new speaker cable runs.

1 Like

New, locally made amplifier for the tweeter. 2x15 w class A. Same brand as my pre amp.

3 Likes

A second HiCapDR, in the same wrong color, joined the team today.
Something needs to be done with the snakes nest behind the rack, it’s a nightmare. Any reason not to have 1m power cables instead of 1.5m?

23 Likes

It is a nice looking system, especially with two HiCaps next to each other to maintain the wide box aesthetic. Good work on the beer too!

I’ve been experimenting with making my own mains cables recently to avoid the snakes in the background. I’ve currently got my normal ones in to see if there is any difference in SQ and I am not convinced there is to be honest so may end up keeping the DIY versions in :+1:

ps. did you get a SQ uplift having now moved to two HiCaps?

1 Like

Straight out from the box, it sounds a bit cleaner and smoother, the bass is more extended. Nothing major, but for the money paid, well worth it. Will report back in a month, it’s all but rough waters for now while breaking in.

3 Likes

I started off with a Supernait 3 and ND5 XS2. I eventually added a HiCap DR and was very pleased with the result. Nothing ground breaking as you say, but a nice improvement in the detail and bass for sure.

2 Likes

Those uninsulated cables (assume primary and secondary for the traffo) going into those terminal blocks are a worry.

2 Likes

The wires are stiff and rigid. Nothing to worry about. The wire is laquer isolated.

1 Like

To replace my typical cheap ‘generic’ made in China scales that worked okay for 15 years until a couple of weeks ago when it went completely haywire.

This Ortofon is precise and very easy to use.
Made in Japan, expensive at £130 but very classy bit of kit.

8 Likes

Nordost Norse 2 solid core silver plated OFC copper Jumpers replacing simple Naca5 jumpers. Great upgrade.

7 Likes

It’s a 552. More on the 552 pricing thread…

17 Likes

There are these too…

I’m planning on getting Ansuz jumpers when they show up onwards :slight_smile: But I’ve changed switch, ethernet cable, DIN-XLR, RCA-BNC coax, speaker cable, jumpers and power cable in like 3 months so will try to slow down a bit now and enjoy… It’s been stressful :scream:

@Lucifer also forbids me to own any Chord gear.

5 Likes

:rofl::+1:

1 Like

You are definitely „the“ cable guy (referring to some movie?) :rofl:

1 Like