What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2024?

Interesting to see how you get on, James. Especially given the ‘Naim power amps are no good without a NAC’ idea which some of us have been flouting recently. I’m also curious as to whether the New Classics are more tolerant to the point that they might work nicely with a Linn, Chord or other digital preamp.

Great photo :smiley: Nothing more to say, but thought it deserved more than a “like”

1 Like

:hushed:

Quite a departure! Avalon pm1 speakers and Vitus 101 mk1 integrated (on loan until the Thrax ares arrives)

I have had Avalon ideas before but these are on another level entirely, as you would expect bearing in mind the price. These are second hand so not as painful. They do things with soundstage and texture that I have never heard another speaker do, but also have the drive and rhythm I love.

Still have the solstice so hopefully still welcome :wink:

21 Likes

Good luck with your 350s tomorrow @nitrous

I plan to collect the twins next Tuesday - 30 / 1 / 24

1 Like

What are your initial views on the Vitus? It is a brand I’m quite interested in, particularly the ability to switch into Class A mode.

Gorgeous speakers mate!!! Enjoy the beautiful beasts.

1 Like

Not sure the 101 can be switched to class A. I think the sia 25 can be switched from class a to ab? It does use class a for the first 10 watts or so though. I have had a 101 in the past and they really are the logical progression from Naim. Similar punchyness but much lower noise floor and much smoother throughout the frequency range.

When you look at £27k for the 332/300/350 combo you would be mad not to listen to this as an alternative

3 Likes

Thanks. Listening to OK computer and the sound is literally coming from everywhere!

1 Like

Very nice ! Avalon make some lovely speakers.

1 Like

Thanks, the amazing thing is you never see them reviewed.

Initial impressions are very good, Chris. As you say, the previous generation(s) did seem to need a Naim pre-amp up front to sound at there best and I wouldn’t have tried this combination with the OC generation amps. After reading some of @110dB ’s comments on the New Classic thread, the NC amps should be a lot more agnostic to non Naim preamp sources.

The new 250 amp is working nicely with the Linn, so I’m sure would play nicely with your DAVE.

IIRC, you had the OC 250 with DAVE before the Etude so I’d be interested in what you find if you do try a NC amp.

Indeed, I’ve only recall seeing them in Hi-Fi Plus. Limited distribution in the UK though, but via some very enthusiastic dealers.

Very nice, the finish on those speakers looks really interesting, always like seeing something different to the traditional wood veneers … almost looks like brushed metal or stone?! Great shape too.

Avalon call it polychrome. Looks like a birds eye maple stained grey. Much nicer in person than in photos. As you said, interesting and a bit different

1 Like

Ah, thanks, yes looks hard to photograph!

I’ll try and get a better shot when the sun comes out!

1 Like

I’m pretty happy with my Étude, but I’m not ruling out a change. Possibly more than just the power amp……we’ll see!
(Arcs are going nowhere though.)

I tried hard to like my 250DR, but even with the 282 I never really fell in love with it. Running it just with Dave was kind of OK, but I think I was really looking for something more.

2 Likes

Just got one of these for trips away and BBQs mainly however, I find I’m karting it round the house with me, bathroom, bedroom, kitchen etc. as I perform my daily duties. Surprisingly good.

4 Likes

Closeup in the daylight. I like it more than I thought. Probably would have gone for plain birdseye maple if I bought new

4 Likes

Twins in the house!

And yet more boxes to find a home for in loft😀

20 Likes