What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2024?

Out of interest, did you do drive units and bases or just the units?
I recently realised that while I have the correct size drive, I have never done the bases.

Very nice, I’m sure you’ll love it. Stick with the app, its not quite Bluesound quality but its still good, very stable and always being updated, as is the D2.

Me too. Though it’s much easier with removable headshells and a simple 52mm overhang measure.

Though my dealer said people tie themselves in knots over cartridge alignment when it’s really not critical at all. It can be approximated without too much fuss, unlike tracking force, VTA, and anti-skating which need to be bang on.

1 Like

My eyes are getting old too, so I use a Acoustical Systems SMARTTractor. It’s really easy to use and includes a fabric thread count magnifier which works really well to see what one is doing. It’s not cheap, but if you want it done correctly very worthwhile.

1 Like

I think your dealer is wrong, and if that’s what they tell people I wouldn’t give them my business for anything analog, because I couldn’t trust they know what they’re doing.

Unless all you play is uncomplicated/simple pop music with SQ you don’t care about, getting alignment correct is just as critical – if not more – than VTF, VTA and AS (you can never get VTA and AS spot on anyway: it’s always a compromise). If you listen to other things, especially like large scale orchestral music, alignment is critical for minimizing distortion, especially near the inner grooves. You can hear when it’s off because complex passages start to sound like crap and loose definition and soundstage.

The SMARTTractor I use is nice because it’s so easy to get alignment spot on and it has five geometries to pick from. I use Lofgren B DIN for both mono and stereo.

1 Like

Three parts? Is it really optimal?:thinking:

For the two points in the middle and back of the arm Clearaudio does it that way for improved resonance control. The front piece is the interface between the arm tube and head shell, and allows for azimuth adjustment. I’m sure it’s more rigid than the interface you find in tonarms with removable head shells.

Ditto for the 9" version of the arm.

Clearaudio knows what they’re doing. The Universal arm is their top-of-line pivot tonearm and it is excellent.

1 Like

Was still surprised that the arm was not in one piece like Rega’s arms are, for example. But sure, you’re probably right, they should know what they’re doing.

1 Like

I think comparing to Rega arms and other arms like it is pointless. The Clearaudio Universal arm alone costs more than a complete Rega Planar 10, and is a different design. It’s in a different league (I’ve had Rega arms in the past). Those segments you point out are fixed and not adjustable in any way. The arm wand is carbon-fiber, whereas the Rega arms are alloy. There’s not much in common other than they are both multi-point bearing radial arms.

4 Likes

I’m using Roon for the most part. The blue sound app has been great.

1 Like

I meant the BMR and the bass drivers.

Just arrived today.

38 Likes

Yet do so on my Ovators, but recently was advised that re-torquing the base was worthwhile. Checked the spec sheet for 400s and the value is given; now added to the to do list!

2 Likes

I’m currently back to Powerline on Naim boxes and Puritan Ultimate from wall to Puritan 156 and from 156 to Farad3 that powers my Lindemann Bridge II. Also have a Powerline on my second Farad3 that powers my EE8. Perfect balance now :raised_hands: The choice of cable between wall and 156 makes a dramatic difference.

1 Like

This :drooling_face::drooling_face::drooling_face: new tonearm

11 Likes

Great ! Makes sense with Puritan from wall to Puritan ,they should be made for each other :ok_hand:

1 Like

Just picked up my 222 and 250… :blush:
Sounds good already even though it’s a bit cold still.

28 Likes

Careful…

IMG_4828

10 Likes

Too much shiny!!

1 Like

Good spot hahaha

2 Likes