What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2024?

Funny how these boxes turn up eh? :joy:

Fantastic, looks like you’re in for a fun weekend Neil!

1 Like

@Neil0001 magic ??? :laughing: good buy !!! Enjoy !!!

1 Like

Congrats
Hope you’re having fun

Happy listening
R

2 Likes

Afternoon Mr T,

No real discernible differences with the MS HD plug but I’m happier with the setup. Much more room for tidy wire management within the plug and decent wire clamping arrangements too (terminals and cable clamp). Ideal if you have oversized mains cables to terminate or want to accommodate two power cables into one plug.

I’ve used the spare 1mm2 ‘euro’ cables that came with the amps to make up my 350 ‘Hydra’

10 Likes

Looking good there, James !

Thanks for the update. In the meantime I’ve found a small stash of nice quality MK plugs with binding post type terminals that can take a chunky cable. Just need a good clean and new fuses :blush:

1 Like

Wife just came back from a short trip to Japan and picked up a little special gift.

Looking forward to unboxing and playing with it tomorrow. To be continued.

9 Likes

The other box looks tasty too!

3 Likes

Good find :+1:

1 Like

Nowt!

Why is there a fuse in the plug? Surely that’s going to compromise the power supply?

It’s a legal requirement. The characteristics of the UK ring main have one drawback in that it can be hard to predict that the current will always be balanced across the ring and therefore a fuse was implemented in the UK around the same time.

While the ring main is heralded as superior to the apparently wasteful circuits in the rest of the world, it would be a lie to say it is not without it’s own compromises.

2 Likes

Nice System! May I ask about your hi-fi rack? Where did you get it from?

These have just arrived so I can freshen up my Rega RP10; an Apheta 3 MC cartridge to replace my Apheta 2, and a new pair of the latest Reference EBLT belts.

26 Likes

Does the torque wrench come free with the Apheta 3?

How does the fuse balance the current across the ring?

It doesn’t. It protects against over drawing on an unbalanced ring. It’s there for safety.

If you look up ring main online you can get some background into the history, why it was developed (saves copper, longer circuits with more plugs on thinner wire, smaller fuse boxes) and the drawbacks that necessetated a fuse. It’s quite ingenious.

Though personally I find the less graceful circuits of old preferrable.

No, I got that at the same time as I originally bought the RP10 back in 2017 (had to look that up - can it really be seven years already?!!). It’s a lovely little thing and ensures the perfect torque when swapping out cartridges on the RB2000.

1 Like

A ring main typically has more sockets on it than a radial, and therefore requires a higher rating on the breaker that protects it, typically 16, 32, or even 50 Amps. This is too high to safely protect the lead that connects the socket to the appliance, so the fuse in the plug provides that protection and has a lower rating of 13 Amps or less, depending on the lead.

2 Likes

Yes, very neat torque wrench, perfect for the task. Hard, and very expensive to find outside the Rega Factory. Pity as the torque settings are important for cartridge fitting. How different is the RB2000 to the newer RB3000 (if you know the answer)?
Thanks

Now that seems to make sense…