What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2024?

I think the toque driver comes as standard with the Naiad. I’m sure your Rega dealer could acquire one for you separately if you wanted? Of course, I’m sure a regular torque driver of suitable values would work just as well…

1 Like

Thanks…I wish I could afford the Naiad…

2 Likes

That Rega Torque Driver is an eye-watering $275 in stock at Music Direct.

One of the comments there notes it tightens to 0.4 Nm. That requires some rather tight tolerances for an adjustment like that. I have a torque wrench in my bike shop that will let me dial in 0.4 Nm, but the spec for the wrench says it’s usable 3-13 Nm. I mostly use it in the 5-8 Nm range.

1 Like

This used, but immaculate looking, Sumiko Pearwood Celebration II cartridge arrived today.

@JonathanG: now I get to hear myself :grinning:

8 Likes

Is this the model you have @Blackbird ?

Depends. There is a Bridge I and a Bridge II and they look identical. I have II.

1 Like

Mulberry,

Enjoy it!!! That’s an absolutely beautiful cartridge and they did a fantastic job of detailing the development and design choices they made in the manual too - something few other cartridge manufacturers bother to do!

I will be interested to hear your thoughts once it’s settled in…

JonathanG

After looking at many different phono stages over the last months I placed my order on a Ear /Yoshino phono box deluxe mc/mm with the volume pot on the front. I wanted something totally different to my dino setup. Have to wait 6 or weeks for it now though. oh and I bought a pressure cooker too!

3 Likes

NSC 222 installed today. Amazing right out of the box.

9 Likes

Hi Jonathan,

the manual is available on Sumikos website and I read it there before my purchase. It’s very informative, not only for owners of this particular cartridge. I’m looking forward to hear what the Celebration can do in my system and will post my thoughts, most likely in a week or two.

Making use of fiber.

1 Like

The D/A-conversion starts to look like a bit of a joke here. Source to a chord scaler (box 1), then this optical bridge (box 2 & 3) into a chord tt2 (box 4). All with external power supplies. So 10 cables as well, not counting those before or after that chain.

At least these new opto.dx-boxes are small :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Trying this (used) interface is fab, running on ts own sabre dacs at the moment and then will try as a transport into the Atc dac/amp

7 Likes

How does it work ? Will it not limit the sound quality ?

Unless I have gotten it all wrong; the scaler leaks a tiny bit of RF on the BNC shield.
The TT2 on the other hand goes over the top to show everything that it is provided with, i.e. is a bit sensitive.
Breaking the electrical connection with an optical bridge makes sure that nothing is transmitted on the shielding.
Since we are at 0.7 MHz, an ordinary toslink would not be enough, but that is a limitation with toslinks, not optical transmission in general. Hence this solution that has a sufficiently high capacity for the signal.

1 Like

Wilson Benesch, Precision Series P1.0 speakers. Oh, and some hearing aids too, which made a huge improvement.

I thought about trying the Opto.dx out when I owned the Mscaler/TT2. I ended up buying a pair of Wave Storm cables instead.
It just seemed like it would be too many boxes and cables for my liking.
Please let us know how it sounds after the install.

Looks impressively complicated! :grinning:

Think I’ll stick with vinyl. That’s pretty straightforward for me.

1 Like

Controversial!! Puritan PSM156 and additional cables…

11 Likes