What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2024?

Ok so 2x6m of NACA5 is here again for a new trial since a lot have changed in my setup last year and I’m a curious guy. Think this is the third time in my naim journey.

New connectors are ordered and to be mounted to make sure connections are top notch. @Igel has added his magic dust to this pair :sparkles: (I don’t mean you have a dusty floor Igel :kissing_heart: )

5 Likes

Get the soldering spot-on and they will reward immensely. Personally (as recommended by a few members here), i would use a Multicore tin/lead 60/40 Crystal 505 solder for best connection/performance.

1 Like

That contains lead which is not legal in EU at least dye to REACH regulations (which is great!). I’m giving this a go this time around.

Mundorf’s Supreme Msolder welding wire is composed of 10% silver. It is indicated for advanced projects that require excellent conductivity (mounting tubes, cable assembly, silver / gold foil). The silver content is balanced by a flux ratio of (2.2.3).

Caution, melting point is 290°C / 554°F, which implies the need of a good soldering iron.

Which connectors will you use?

Deltron nickel on the amp end and will evaluate deltron gold on the speaker end vs Elecaudio BA-305 beryllium silver plated copper. Witchhat used Silver plated Audioquest z-bananas on the Phantom so I thought it would be interesting to see if it adds something good to NACA5. My learning is there is a synergy work to be made between all parts so trial and error. Gold is in general adding bit to much fluffy low end which NACA5 already have enough of.

I’m using Deltron 583-0500 and 583-0100 on the amp end. Mainly because I hate the original connector which is also nickel.

3 Likes

Please don’t do that. The Mk1 Rega Radio is a fairly rare bit of kit, and good too. It deserves to stay in your home, or even find a new home.

4 Likes

Arcam tuners really are one of hifi’s great bargains. My favourite would be a toss up between the old T21 or the Delta 80, but they’re all good.

3 Likes

I ordered a SPL Phonitor X headphone / peramp. Let’s just say i was disappointed.

1 Like

I’ll have to check if it even works anymore. I have not used it in at least the last 15 years.

Anyway, I have no use for it, and I doubt there is much interest in one anywhere around here.

I guess your Ear Hp4 sounds much better ?

1 Like

I have sold that, i’m using a bartok direct into active speakers. The Phonitor has the advantage of also being able to be used as a preamp which the hp4 couldn’t. I’ve had a very quick listen and it does sound good.

1 Like

Oh, I didn’t understood your former post, as you wrote you were disappointed.

Did it come without a Volume knob?!

Yes; the volume knob was in the plastic that the unit was wrapped in. It must have come off in transit.

Thought I might as well……

6 Likes

That brand is becoming very popular on this forum

Oh dear. You are not listening, sorry to tell you how it is…

Correct :metal:

2 Likes

Best of luck, i hope it works out :crazy_face::love_you_gesture:

A brand new Silver 2023 Apple iMac. M3 chip, 1TB HDD, 16Gb of Ram and the extended keyboard.

6 Likes