What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2024?

I haven’t heard a bad Guru, looking forward to these being listened to later and not breaking that trend!

2 Likes

Not the final positioning etc but just a quick swap out of the Kefs to give the Gurus a first bit of a play.

18 Likes

I also used to have guru juniors and loved them.

1 Like

A last financial stretch resulted in a new Chord PowerHAUS M6 mains power distribution block with Signature X mains power cable.

16 Likes

They do not have them? My Juniors have.
They do not have phase inverter?

Didn’t realise the Juniors had grills, hadn’t seen any pics with them.

Phase inverter? not sure what you mean.

how do they compare to the KEFs? Or too soon to tell??

I know they will need to run in, so this is just based on first listens but these are a return to the joy of Guru’s.

The Kef’s are excellent speakers, amazing build quality which was reaffirmed when taking them of their stands which they were bolted to. The Kef’s are very demanding of positioning in my experience to get the best of of them, but if that can be achieved they are excellent speakers. Kef’s are very controlled, precise and the balance to most speakers is on the darker side, they are very transparent but not in the spot lit way many speakers are.

Almost an equivalent of Townshend Isolda speaker cable, which can sound a bit recessed in comparison until you realise its just not bright, but is transparent.

The Guru’s by contrast are a speaker that just brings emotional connection with all music played on them, this is why they have been a constant in at least one of my systems over many years.

These new Guru’s build on that formula that the Q10’s delivered, just more of it. So expansive, the highs just soar and the bottom end is incredible, they major on dynamics. Everyone is the household have all commented on how amazing they sound, so lifelike, with excellent image height, another Guru trait.

I connected them with some trepidation, I bought them blind (well deaf I suppose is more accurate) and on the strength of my other Guru’s, plus having heard all other Guru’s except the newish 28’s and always enjoyed them thoroughly.

The fit and finish is first rate and then the hope was they would sound at least half as good as they look, and even though I know they still have to run in their sound is so fluid.

These are very special in my view and that is a relief, faith repaid, and congrats to Erik, the owner and designer, hope they manage to avoid the issues from the last time around that they gained such praise but then struggled with the success, this new addition really deserves to find its way into a good many homes.

I should also add that Erik has been an absolute gentleman and pleasure to deal with and get to know, real enthusiast and the speakers turned up exactly when he said they would.

3 Likes

Rega Saturn Mk. III. Collected and installed today. While vinyl remains my primary source, I wanted a decent CDP for playing the many CDs that currently live in the basement. The Saturn doesn’t disappoint - it just latches on to the music and gets on with the job. No hard edges, glare or artificial detail but loads of rhythm/boogie factor. My P10 with Apheta 3 still sounds better, but the Saturn is not that far behind.

11 Likes

Yes, Juniors have. So, 12 do not have?

Ported?

Ahh , yes, they are front ported with a similar arrangement to both the Q10 and Junior.

2 Likes

thanks for your first Guru 12 comments. Very keen to hear more. Reading the technical specs (Dutch distributor) a bookshelve or close to the wall placement is advised. Can you comment on your experiences about placement ?

I’ve just left the stands where they were for the Kefs, so I have them 46.5 and 44.5 (allowing for slight toe in) cm from the back of the speaker to the back wall.

I’ll experiment but given the prestigious bass output in this position I’m wary to put them in more familiar Guru position close to the wall.

Likewise the toe in angle currently is way less than my experience with Q10’s and how I have them in cabin system.

I may adjust as they bed in but they sound pretty amazing in more traditional speaker placement than usual Guru close proximity and high degree toe in.

I haven’t seen any officially sensitivity ratings but would say they are slightly more efficient than Q10’s probably around 88 I’d say, given how easily they are driven by the Supernait 3 that I’ve had the Q10’s on before.

2 Likes

Cannot say for Guru 12, but Junior works well close to wall and on distance.

Opportunity came up to change the 707s for the 808s.
I must admit they sound sublime. The final step!

40 Likes

Boring I know, but another two 0.5m Catsnake 6a (floating) to have a ‘full loom’ from Router to nas / EE-8 to ND555. Very very pleased with this cable.

G

4 Likes

I was just wondering why the Powerlines were heading the wrong way in the other pics…

I don’t understand what you mean Max, the Powerlines flow around the power block to the rear of the equipment rack.

Thx for your additional information.

FYI the Guru 12 specs ;

Two way monitor speaker
Typical in-room response 28 Hz – 30 kHz
Sensitivity 87dB (@2.83V,1m)
Nominal impedance 5 ohm
Crossover band 2 – 7 kHz
Recommended amplifier power 70 W – 250 W
Enclosure type Helmholtz resonator
Enclosure material MDF/Steel
Drivers 1× 20.5 mm soft dome tweeter, 1×102 mm mineral fibre cone
Dimensions (w x h x d) 208 x 320 x 280
Placement Bookshelf or close to wall

Keep us posted on Your further experiences.

Thx for the information.

As I’m considering new speakers, GURU is one of the candidats. But questioning about their placement. GURU advise close wall placement (both for the stand mounts and the floor standing), however some reviews indicate a more free space positioning.

As already told multiple times on this forum, home demo should give the right answer. Unfortunately - for Guru stuff - not possible for me.