What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2024?

That is great, thank you. Do I need to drill a hole in the side of the plastic box/housing to run the cable out? Also, do you mind me asking where you buy your ferrels from?

The socket has knock out sections - just carefully knock out the most appropriate one for you and clean the edges up. Then you’ll need to install the cable clamp to stop the cable moving too much. That’s the only part I wobble about using a socket designed for wall mounting in a “mobile” application. Even if it isn’t mobile very often!

1 Like

You just push out the weak pre stressed parts that are called breakouts you can see them easy held up to light weak squares.
I put a cable tie inside to stop any chance of the cable being pulled.
The ferrules I buy are nude ferrules from eBay and for 1.5mm2 conductors.
There are some multi size boxes around too.
Not expensive at all. :+1:t2:

4 Likes

Thanking you kindly. I will report back once I have assembled it all together :+1:

1 Like

If you’re MK plug is the type with the screw down clamps inside then you only need ferrels on the socket side.
I can see it’s an MK but not sure if toughplug or safety plug.
Either is fine.
Good luck and enjoy. :+1:t2:

Your advice is always clear and definitely worth trying out. I recently built a mains extension based on yours. Wish I had a plug with through hole terminals though. The binding post type is a pain to connect.
Keep it coming

1 Like

@Mikee
Thank you so much I’m never sure if I’m taken seriously so many have blinkers.
It fills me up to think I’m helping and bringing some value and enjoyment.
The plugs I’m using with a through hole is MK Toughplug MK 0655W
Great plugs and a joy to wire up.
Best regards.

IMG_2616

5 Likes

I got the Linx nebula today, compared to the Uniti 1 it has more bass which I quickly noticed :slight_smile:

Cheers, I know the type, will get hold of one.
Keep sharing

1 Like

Think I’m going to do this also, how do you wire the second one? Any pics?

Don’t get all emotional on us now :smiling_face_with_tear:

I’m glad the forum gives voice to respectfully dissenting, challenging, agreeable, etc views, makes it a nice vibrant community IMO.

My 2-way “Skeptikal special” mains block is now powering my NAP110 and CB Olive HiCap/NAC42.5 nicely.

1 Like

@Marq
Hi I’m out just now and the iPad is on charge I’ll post pictures and instructions soon. :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Wonderful - thanks

Perhaps, but they’re built properly with bricks! :rofl::wink:

2 Likes

Particularly impressed that one has remembered to ensure that the earth cable is a fraction longer than the others, ensuring each is the last to be connected if th cable is pulled out

3 Likes

As promised pics below.
The main cable comes in and there is a short version too well stripped back insulation each colour in a pair twisted together then pushed through a ferrule each colour in turn into the correct terminal I’ve left the earths separate but still used ferrules then the single short cable is fed through both back boxes with the holes made then singly wired as before with ferrules.
The reason I use these is so that multi strand cable doesn’t get split or have unconnected strands loose.
Sockets of this type usually have large solid core cable and the ferrule replicates this type of connection.
I do add that although these components are available from stores to DIY only do so if entirely confident.
First picture is the double connection and the second one the single.
Not expensive and all parts are to British legislation and specification.

I mounted the single boxes together on a wood block.

2 Likes

Yes, making the earth slightly longer is good practice and when making up your own cables I would also recommend paying attention to the “lay” of the 3 cores, in the example shown the cable is, to my mind, the wrong way round.
Running the cable from plug to socket in the other direction would have eliminated the twist and crossover of cores.

Here is an example of having the cable the other way round so the cores sit neater:

This also means at the socket end (for an IEC for example) the cores are in the right orientation for the pins, here is the cut end of a cable that would fit nicely into a female IEC connector

3 Likes

I’d also like to offer up my version of this, using MK metal clad boxes which are fixed together using threaded bushings in the 20mm knockouts of the boxes.

This layout works (worked) really well until the Naim Powerline plugs came along!

1 Like

That’s great - thanks for posting these up.

1 Like

Hope this helps I am qualified by the way so if not sure see a man but it’s pretty common sense.
Everything I’ve done is for a reason and it’s a great no nonsense alternative to some very ropey and never to be in my house rubbish I don’t know how they get away with it.
Be safe and enjoy it’s not about the cost it’s the quality and safety. :+1:t2:

1 Like