What was the last bit of gear you bought?

Just be very careful if you do that; It’s easy to round out the hex bolts and because the cover acts as the heatsink, you need to ensure the cover makes a good tight contact with the inner tray when you put it all back together again. Also the fascias can get quite brittle and it’s easy to catch an edge and break bits off.

I got scared, most likely I won’t open it

2 Likes

Maybe you can email Naim service and request the information ?

But in any case…I think you have a nice thing going there …!

can you tell me how much it can cost to run the service for the 62-hicap-250?

Your Naim distributor can give you an indication as to service costs.

It may help

There is also the Naim olive thread.

Whilst I was waiting for my BTE custom built passive pre I got a Khozmo passive on approval to try out with my Quad QSP. Passive pre’s are a bit of a minefield ideally a power amp with a low impedance input of 10k like mine should have a pre with at least 5k impedance output but you can go up to 10k if you have short leads of 50cm or less with very low capitance or so I thought.
A shunt attenuator like the Khozmo can affect impedance and so with an amp like mine cause frequency roll off in this case it caused thickening of the lower midrange/upper bass and also another effect is that you’ll need the whole dial to get a decent volume.
Although the Tisbury mini that also has 10k has no such problems and sounds incredibly good for the price. I added a 50cm Neotech NPOCC cable between the Tisbury and it had a more positive effect than any cable I’ve tried before.
Can’t wait to get my BTE which has a tdk mecahinical pot and has been put together to work with a low input amp like mine.

4 Likes

That’s a wonderful sight to behold - so good Naim did a brochure that folded out into a poster of that very shot - the inside of a NAP250.

However, those caps look like originals…

4 Likes

And what about the transformer? Is the 400VA or 500VA?

I don’t know.

As we continue to adjust to a new norm, I unboxed my old UQ and bought a pair of Totem Mites to go along with it in my makeshift home office. Speakers are still running in, but the sound coming through at low volumes is really fantastic. Great little inexpensive setup.

13 Likes

Would you sell the gear if it was 400 or retain it if it was 500 va ?

Regards

I would keep it anyway.

1 Like

Here’s the bolt-together 250 inside.
nap2503
Yellow caps and very different layout. This had transistors mounted on the back.
nap250back

3 Likes

No more thumping switch on and off, no more infernal buzzing transformer and I get to play with some room correction software.

5 Likes

Not a bit of gear as such, but hopefully a cheapish upgrade - two sheets of 7.5mm tempered glass under which will sit Naim cups and balls.

One shelf will go under the fruitbox, the other underneath an Oppo 205.

8 Likes

Will be interested to hear the report on the effect on the sound as I have wondered about similar.

After you are done and satisfied…a few clear photos will be nice to see…

I have 10 mm tempered glass…was wondering how to place the Naim cups and balls.

Request you to try these on the source first to see if these impact the source more than the amplification.

Thanks

Astell&Kern Kann Cube DAP, the show me your headphones thread is to blame…new headphones and DAP in last week.

These purchase allow harmony with the wife whilst working from home.

2 Likes