What was the last bit of gear you bought?

Yes they are hard to find in North America. I got extremely lucky and it was a local sale. I should have played the lottery that day as well. lol

Nice! Yes, they are and yes, you should’ve.

1 Like

Just before the Christmas break I purchased from Cymbiosis an Atacama RS Celebration 6 tier Hi Fi rack in pristine condition.
The downside is that they couldn’t send it to me due to the unit never came with it’s original boxes. Now with this national lockdown I’m unable to travel to collect plus Cymbiosis is closed due to the regulations.
I guess it’ll be Easter before I will be able to travel to collect !

Regards,

Martin

2 Likes

Liked the post. Disliked the situation.

After nine weeks away, the trusty old (1999) NAP 250 is back from Salisbury after a service/recap!

30 Likes

Heresy I know…We just bought a Samsung HW T-550 ‘Sound-bar & Sub’ for telly duties. The screen and hifi are at 90deg and incompatible in terms of room configuration.

I’ve never bothered about the sq from tv but lately lots of broadcasts seem a bit muddled and difficult to decipher. This results in us turning the tv up, which is silly as our hearing is fine.

Anyway, the tv does now sound a lot better at sensible volume.

It was a ‘Which’ best buy and as we have a Samsung TV the bluetooth was picked up and works seamlessly.

G

2 Likes

@ChrisSU should help on settlings with Naim transport and Chord .

Thanks @frenchrooster. With the SN2 having an active pre volume control, I’d think 1v or 2v but would like to just set it and forget it. Right now it is on 2v and the dial position seems about the same as before even introducing the Chord: 9:00 is loud(er) but not painfully so. Just want to ensure I’m doing it right without adding distortion or the potential for clipping. Many say 3v adds ‘weight’ and sounds fuller. Of course, this is all dependent on active/passive preamp stages and speaker sensitivity, so who knows?
Sorry to derail the thread. I should post this in the Qutest, Hugo TT, Mscalar thread, maybe?

You can post, maybe, in the End of my teter thread, because this subject is or was very recently treated.

wow, thank you very much for the extensive and detailed response.
As you may have seen from my profile, I own a pair of Harbeth C-7es3s (before the Harbeth Monitor 30 and even before the ProAc Studio 100), so my curiosity was in understanding the reasons for your drastic change from a couple of harbeth “bookshelves” to a couple of floorstanders … I love the harbeths for how they are and for what they give as they are, personally I would never add subs, at least I would have thought of switching to a bigger model or, just like you did, switch to floorstanders.
I’m glad you found your “way” :slight_smile:

David

1 Like

Ah, yes, I should’ve looked at your profile. Duh moment on my part.
I did think about the SL5+ but really assumed it would still retain the Harbeth signature, which I wanted to move away from for something different.
Drastic it was. I had the 7ES-3 for quite a long time before adding subs. I was like you in a Harbeth purist sense, but then I actually preferred them with dual SVS subs to be honest. Integration was key, as is any sub. For me it was a very short trial-and-error procedure, and DSP really helps here. My output, frequency response and integration into the system was pretty flawless. However, I really wanted to simplify my overall system, and the Spendors allowed that without detracting from anything, really. I feel I’ve gained so much more.

1 Like

ok, well done!

How big is your room ?

David

It is a dedicated listening room that I designed with the help of our builder and electrician when we built our house. Not many parallel surfaces, which is ideal. It’s 17.5’ long, 15.5’ wide and 9’ ceilings, which ascend from different side knee wall heights to a filled-in cathedral-type apex. My office is attached, but am able to seal it off when I want with a galvanized-type door similar to entry doors, but much nicer for interiors. Anyway, floorstanders in this space was the way to go. As I somewhat articulated, the bass pressurizes the room just fine.

1 Like

lovely room and set-up, indeed!

1 Like

Thank you! I feel extremely lucky and am thankful to have a space to relax and just enjoy music. WAF doesn’t apply.

1 Like

I couldn’t resist the deal which dealer offered me … NDX for NDX2 :grinning:

19 Likes

How does it compare over the NDX?

It has been a few hours since I got him, mostly radio station until till now but definitely sounds more “natural”… and much more features, especially display :smiley:

2 Likes

I’ve just bought a Microsoft surface dial.
With this dial I can

• adjust volume of my supernait (rotate)
  • mute/unmute supernait (long press)
  • start/stop stream from roon (short press)
  • skip titel in roon (double press)

Very handy, but it needs a little bit of tinkering.

8 Likes

New NDX2 and SN3 arrived over the weekend (arrived by chance on my birthday which was nice). Ex demo HiCap due on Wednesday. Noticeable uplift on the Nova even though still running in. Very pleased so far and thanks to Audio T for all the home demos (all of the above plus an ND5XS2 at various times) and for general help. Still need to decide on best set up on my limited shelves.

My parents and my mother in particular loved their music. She died last year and this has been bought from a small legacy. I think, hope, she would have approved.

I couldn’t bring myself to get rid of the Nova, which i think is a bit of a classic and whose design I really like (I know this goes against the flow on this forum :slight_smile:) so it is now off to the living room connected up to my ancient B&W DM4s which are in totally the wrong position but the whole nevertheless sounds remarkably good.

19 Likes